Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 02:00 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Help Request

RichardTowler

Forum User
Chatty
My geeklog site, GameFaction is looking for abit of help, basically I need to customize the system alittle more, nothing that complicated I'd guess, i'm no expert though, but just basically adding a few features here and there, image attachments to the calender, new sign up options, changes to the links system, if anyone would like to talk further about what I'd like done, let me know, would really appreciate it Smile
GameFaction - For All Your Gaming Needs

tokyoahead

Anonymous
As a general note on "new features":

beware that you might have to re-implement those features with every new version of GL coming out. If you dont, you might be prevented from upgrading and thus exposed to security issues. Therefore new features are usually not just a "bit of help" but more of an ongoing support request.

I suggest to ask for new features to be implemented into the core system so they will be updated too, and new features can be made available for the whole community. If the feature's programming is sound and the feature itself not too specific to a certain task, it can be implemented.

BTW: efore you have someone make changes to the calendar, I advise you to wait a couple of weeks for the 1.4.1 version to come out. The calendar will be a plugin then and much easier to change/maintain.

RichardTowler

Forum User
Chatty
Thanks for the tip, the way I have of doing at the moment is, a list/note of things that I have changed, and each time a new version comes out that needs these changes applying, just re edit, as once the work is done its pretty easy to change that side of things I have found, as I'm still able to upgrade pretty much straight away when an update is released.

Yeah I would love for the things I'd like added to be part of the core system, I guess i felt it might of been abit more cheeky to ask, but worth a try, l'll do this when i get home from work tonight.

And the Calender plugin sounds good, guess that means that people will be able to post comments to events? Smile

tokyoahead

Anonymous
guess that means that people will be able to post comments to events

No. It means that the functionality of the calendar as it was has been transferred into a plugin. That, beeing quite a piece of work as such allows you to disable or remove the calendar.

Aditional features are not there before the version after that. Feel free to write that feature and submit a patch for the next version! Very Happy

RichardTowler

Forum User
Chatty
thanks, well here are some of the basics I'd need, feel free to paste elsewhere Smile

Calender:

- Image Attachments, simlar to the user photo, ability to attach an image to an event and display within the event page.

Links:

- Company Profiles, this is more custom for what I need, but instead of the links just been a title, info and links, I need each link to be a seperate page, with information relating to the company stored, for example, title, info, email, contact info, logo etc, stored on a clean page, like an event is.

Custom User Options

- New Features, again this is a more custom feature, but some custom options added to user, Xbox Live Tags, gaming info...

New Section

- jobs, my aim is to have a jobs section where companies can submit jobs to advertise, so have a main page for the jobs, where ppl can see the latest jobs, older jobs, and apply for jobs.

this is kinda why I was feeling this would be more person to what I need, and maybe abit demanding, sorry.

tokyoahead

Anonymous
- Image Attachments, simlar to the user photo, ability to attach an image to an event and display within the event page.

the question here is why you dont make a topic "Events" and make seperate stories about an event and calendar entries that link to the story

Company Profiles, this is more custom for what I need, but instead of the links just been a title, info and links, I need each link to be a seperate page, with information relating to the company stored, for example, title, info, email, contact info, logo etc, stored on a clean page, like an event is.

This is more elaborate than what the plugin is thought for. Why dont you create static pages instead for every company? you could write a very simple php-function that lists all those static pages (and only those) that contain company info. Just make sure that the ID of all static pages that contain company info start with something like company_atari comapany_electronic-arts etc.

New Features, again this is a more custom feature, but some custom options added to user, Xbox Live Tags, gaming info...

I think there should be a plugin or something like that because every siteowner wants to have aditional options but each wants something different... this is a bit more complicated to do since there is not a real plugin-hook to do that and you need extra tables to store the information.

jobs, my aim is to have a jobs section where companies can submit jobs to advertise, so have a main page for the jobs, where ppl can see the latest jobs, older jobs, and apply for jobs.

This is a plugin by iteself for sure. You should either take the forum for that or take one of the plugins... there was a classified ads plugin somewhere IIRC.

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:00 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content