Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 12:42 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Improper conversion of special characters during upgrade

griffman

Forum User
Junior
We recently migrated from a very old version of Geeklog (1.3.7sr3, I think) to 1.4.0sr3, and most everything seems to have worked ... except for the conversion of special characters in both comments and usernames (and probably any other field where they might have existed).

For instance, if a user's account name was "Jévonne," it now shows up as "Jétonne," and the user obviously can't login. I've compared the header.thtml and config.php files from before and after the upgrade, and I don't see any obvious setting I may have overlooked.

Help!?

-rob.

griffman

Forum User
Junior
Follow up: The data in the MySQL file itself seems to be fine. If I connect directly via mysql and run the query:

select * from users where username='Jévonne'

Then I find the account. But if I use the Geeklog search field on users, I can only find a match if I search for "Jévonne".

So our data is fine, it's just the display that's messed up.

-rob.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Sounds more like a character set issue - UTF-8 vs. ISO-8859-1.

bye, Dirk

griffman

Forum User
Junior
It does seem to be a character set issue. Now we're trying to figure out why Smile.

-rob.

griffman

Forum User
Junior
Solved. But the cause and solution might be worth sharing. We had, we thought, properly set the charset in the config.php ... but we didn't understand that the english.php file in the language directory *also* set the charset, and that its value overrode that of config.php.

RTFM, I know.

-rob.

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:42 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content