Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 12:44 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

unable to install geeklog with solution

oprogue

Anonymous
determined
Edit: if you want the skinny ... scroll down to the bottom where the "*****"s are. As a new install this is really an easy to install canned package ... just don't make more of it than there is. Think simple and you'll be up and running in a flash.

OK ... as a matter of record keeping I thought I'd post my steps sequence wise in the hopes someone can figure out what is going wrong. My host has Geeklog as a part of the Fantastico package. I have a successful install of geeklog 1.3.11sr1 I have the option in Fantastico of upgrading to 1.4.0sr1.

I am attempting one last time prior to wiping the install and doing a manual installation. As before (and I mean as in 6+ times before) the install completes, but there is the error: Fatal error: Call to undefined function COM_numberFormat() in /home/user/public_html/www/plugins/polls/functions.inc on line 502

I have attempted such upgrade without success. (the whole reason for using geeklog to begin with is to be able to run the theme "white pointer").

I have downloaded to my local PC the theme "white pointer" version 1.4.0", and geeklog 1.4.0sr2 and extracted each to seperate directories. The orginal compression files were opened using WinRAR 3..60 beta 1 (this was used as there have been errors reported when using WinZip, WinRAR was the recommended replacement for WinZip).

PHP version 5.0.4
MySQL version 4.0.25-standard-log
PERL version 5.8.4 (not that it should be needed)
Linux server with kernel version 2.4.21-32.0.1.EL
Running RedHat Enterprise 3 i686

I'll be using WS-FTP to move the files from my local windoze box to the linux server.

Opened the config.php file to comfirm paths.

The path /public_html/ was correct, no changes made.
Created the path: /path/to/geeklog/ (*no sense in re-inventing the wheel when it comes to paths, a path can be created just as easy as it can be renamed in a config file). The only path changed was for the (3) Site Settings where the $_CONF[''site_url'] was changed to the actual url, ex. = 'http://mysite.com';

Uploaded the files from the folder /public_html to the server location /public_html/

Uploaded the remaining files from the folder /geeklog-1.4.0sr2 (except /public_html) to the server location /path/to/geeklog/

Attempted to verify install by going to url; noda
Use the url: http://yourgeeklogsite/admin/install/check.php for verification, returned the error:

Warning: main(/path/to/geeklog/config.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/username/public_html/lib-common.php on line 69

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/path/to/geeklog/config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/username/public_html/lib-common.php on line 69

Indeed, there is no "/admin/install/function.main"

Went to the directory /path/to/geeklog/ to verify location of the config.php file; paths appeared correct; altered the one path under (2) from
$_CONF['path_html'] = $_CONF['path'] . 'public_html/';
to
$_CONF['path_html'] = $_CONF['path'] . '/public_html/';

Before making any additional screw ups I located the installation instructions for additional details.

Beginning with step 4; database created.
Step 5: confirmed paths (see above).
Step 6: Verified the lib-common.php, require_once() call was set to the to point to the location of your config.php file: '/path/to/geeklog/config.php' which was the default setting.
Step 7: Opened my browser and navigated to http://yourgeeklogsite/admin/install/install.php and followed the directions!
(hot damn ... the install.php opened)

I was prompted: Path to Geeklog's config.php:
which I set to: /home/username/path/to/geeklog/

When I was promptly greeted with:

Warning: main(/path/to/geeklog/system/databases/mysql.class.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/username/path/to/geeklog/system/lib-database.php on line 117

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/path/to/geeklog/system/databases/mysql.class.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/username/path/to/geeklog/system/lib-database.php on line 117

soooo ... knowing this is simplier than I'm making it, I noted the paths are to be "absolute" paths, ie, the complete directory path. In my case I had to change the config file to reflect the following:

// This should point to the directory where your config.php file resides.
$_CONF['path'] = '/home/username/path/to/geeklog/'; // should end in a slash

and

// $_CONF['path_html'] = '/path/to/your/public_html/';
$_CONF['path_html'] = $_CONF['path'] . '/home/username/public_html/';

Now with this completed I returned to http://url.net/admin/install/install.php again with the updated information (and I forgot to add earlier I elected the settings for "Installation Type:" as a "new" database and then entered the "absolute path" for "Path to Geeklog's config.php: " as "/home/username/path/to/geeklog/". This led to the following error:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user: 'username@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /home/username/path/to/geeklog/system/databases/mysql.class.php on line 112
Cannnot connect to DB server

Given that I didnt' specifically see in the instructions earlier that there were other settings to be made for the data base, I went back to the configureation file and entered in that information. As chance would have it I happened to create a MySQL database with the name geeklog, so all I had to do was enter in the appropiate user/pw information and upload the new config.php file.

This generated the error: error selecting database

A quick search of the geeklog website indicated that the database name needed to be "exactly" as reflected in the website, which usually includes the username, so once again I edited the config.php file to reflect the following:

$_DB_name = 'username_geeklog'; // name of your database,

... and for the literal minded, I FTP'd that up to the site in the appropiate folder and then re-ran: http://yourwebsite.url/admin/install/install.php

Woohoo ... set two!!

Mine was a "new" database (ie. no existing data) so I merely had to hit "next".

... only to be greeted with the following errors:

Warning: main(/path/to/geeklog/config.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/username/public_html/lib-common.php on line 69

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/path/to/geeklog/config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/username/public_html/lib-common.php on line 69

At this point I'm wtf ... so I hit the back button to see if it was a fluke ... but then it tosses an error indicating the db has been created ... so I go back another page and select upgrade ... and the respone was your up todate ... hmmm I say ...

Sooo I'm thinking maybe this baby will roll ... so I pull up my url ... n I get:

eeek!

So I've rechecked my paths ... I find it hard to beleive the installation script accepted the path for the config.php file ... but the config.php file won't accept its' own path?

I've dumped my cookie, dumped my cache ... noda.

http://yourgeeklogsite/admin/install/check.php confirms the same error code as well.

Something is definitely amiss ... I've tried the following two different ways:

$_CONF['path_html'] = $_CONF['path'] . '/public_html/';
and

My public_html hasn't changed paths so the absolute path here shouldn't be needed ... but I've tried that too ... to no avail

The only path left is for the config file (which is what the error is about) and it is set to:

$_CONF['path'] = '/home/username/path/to/geeklog/'; // should end in a slash

.... ok ...

so I delete the entire site, recreate the site, delete the default public_html directory, upload the entire public_html directory, create a directory called geeklog and upload everything else to it, create a MySQL db named username_geeklog modify the config.php file to reflect username,

$_CONF['path'] = '/home/username/geeklog/'; // should end in a slash

I go to the http://www.yourwebsite.url/admin/install/, input the directory path, select new data base, next, next and get the url:

http://www.website.net/admin/install/success.php

... but get a "page cannot be displayed" error

... and what do I get when I launch the site:

what a crock ... but not to lament because I know where I screwed up ... I didn't edit the lib_common.php file in the public_html directory ... no sweat ... I slap in the

require_once( '/home/username/geeklog/config.php' );

upload via wsftp ...

reload the url in a browser ... and ...

Template Error: set_root: /home/username/geeklog/public_html/layout/professional is not a directory.
Halted.

toy with that directory ... n the error

Template Error: set_root: /home/username/geeklog/username/public_html/layout/professional is not a directory.
Halted.

and it's like wooo (that a "w" with a long "o"). ... now keep in mind previously I have not uploaded the "public_html" directory to the /geeklog directory ... I was under the impression it was redundant ... sooo ... I up load the public_html directory to the /geeklog directory ... and ... 30 minutes of "Jar-head" later ...

... and still nodda.

Template Error: set_root: /home/username/geeklog/username/public_html/layout/professional is not a directory.
Halted.

ok ok ... now get this ... I change the config.php file back to

but there was no effect on the error ...

long short of the story ... don't trust your ftp program ... I've done the same thing now for over 4 hours without success ... I used the host's webinterface and wa-la ... site came right up ...

ok … so to sum things up … don’t trust either wsftp or winzip.

Install or replace the existing public_html directory with the public_html found in the geeklog zip

Install the remainder of the geeklog files into a separate directory that you know the full path of … but save yourself some trouble shooting and keep it simple like “/home/username/geeklog/” (just make sure this directory isn’t in a location that is accessible from the web.

Create yourself a MySQL database (simple reference name like “geeklog”)

Edit the config.php file with the correct database information:
$_DB_host = 'localhost'; // host name or IP address of your DB server
$_DB_name = 'username_geeklog'; // name of your database,
// must exist before running the installer!
$_DB_user = 'username'; // MySQL user name
$_DB_pass = 'password'; // MySQL password

Edit the config.php file putting in the path for the config.php file (it will be in the directory were you stored the remainder of the files (ie not in the public_html directory). Mine looked like this:

$_CONF['path'] = '/home/username/geeklog/'; // should end in a slash

// You only need to change this if you moved or renamed the public_html
// directory. In that case, you should specify the complete path to the
// directory (i.e. without the $_CONF['path']) like this:

Then go and edit the lib-common file found in the /public_html directory … do a “find” or “search” for “require_once” and in the “( )” stick the path to your config.php file again:

require_once( '/home/username/geeklog/config.php' );

Now your configuration should be complete.
In a browser enter the url for the following: http://yoursite.url/admin/install/install.php

Put your config.php path in yet again, select “new” for the database installation click next … then next on the following page that loads … if everything is configured correctly you’ll get a success page or the url:
http://www.yoursite.url/admin/install/success.php

If there’s an error at this point it’s probably a path error … just look closely at the paths and you can narrow it down … it is probably the path in the lib-common.php file or the path set for the public_html directory in the config.php file.

**What ever you do use Filezilla to upload your files via ftp; stay away from WSFTP and WinZip (use WinRAR)**

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:44 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content