Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 06:24 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Left menu and phpbb conversion

micha

Forum User
Hi

I wonder if there is a way to change what links are on the left withput touching the code
I find it hard to see the functions on the top right if you are new to the site.
i would like to have forum downloads etc on the left.
Like you have it. These categories and menus on the left.

and how did you do that you have an extra block on the left when you enter the forum?

and one more difficult question.
do you guys know a conversion script for phpbb data and users?
i want to get my old data to the geeklog page and forum.

THEMike

Forum User
The main blocks that appear on the left on a geeklog install are:

Topics
Admin
User Options

You can change what is in the topics block, by setting up topics, deleting topics and setting permissions on the topics. You can't change the content of the Admin and User Options menus, these are defined by permissions.

You can create new blocks (/admin/blocks.php) that contain arbritrary HTML, so you could easily create a block on the left with exactly the menu links you want, and turn off the topics block.

If you want to get your menu items into a block on the left, but still have them be dynamically defined by the menu code, you can do this.

You need to edit three templates, two called menuitem.thtml and menuitem-last.thtml define how individual menu items are formatted. These are then appended together to make the {menu_items} placeholder in the header.thtml file.

If you edit header.thtml you can move them into the top of the left column, much like the search control is in the professional theme, and wrap them in the HTML of your choice to render them in a block.

Does that help? You have two options
1) hand cranked HTML in a configured block
2) editing your templates

as for the extra block on the forums, geeklog plugins can define blocks that are inserted into the left and right columns dynamically via the API. The forum plugin probably supports this API, but only returns the block when the site is open on the forums.

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:24 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content