Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 12:14 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

RSS Feeds access errors

KungfuBeer

Forum User
Hey guys,

I cannot access the rss feeds from any of my sites.

http://dev.cantrelltech.com/backend/geeklog.rss

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

I am running IIS 6 (Windows 2003) and php5. I do see the content being updated within the actual geeklog.rss file. This is a complete fresh installation of GL1.4.0sr2

Any ideas?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Make sure the webserver has read access to the .rss file (use whatever the Windows equivalent of a chmod is ...).

bye, Dirk

KungfuBeer

Forum User
Make sure the webserver has read access to the .rss file (use whatever the Windows equivalent of a chmod is ...)

I added the IIS account to that folder several months ago, even though it didnt need it, since the entire public_html file is equivanlent to CHMOD 775.

Even when I use the local administrator account in IIS - which would be the same as chmod 777, I still get the same error.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
From Geeklog's point of view, the .rss file is only a file it writes to on occasion. (Web) access to that file is entirely under the webserver's control.

It must be something on your end, e.g. in the webserver's configuration ...

bye, Dirk

KungfuBeer

Forum User
I agree.

Now I am looking for help from IIS6 users who may have come across this problem.

Funny thing is, on my other servers, which are running IIS5 and PHP4, it works great!!

To add insult to injury, I am an MCSE to boot!

Thanks for your help Dirk, and in my humble opinion, GL is the best CMS out there!

KungfuBeer

Forum User
I just found the problem and corrected it!

Serving up files from a web server running IIS 6 can sometimes be problematical. This is because by default IIS 6 will not serve up files that have file extensions with unknown MIME types. This action was taken in IIS 6 to make web servers more secure, but you can allow files with any extension to be served up as follows:

1. Open IIS Manager and open the properties of the IIS node.
2. Click MIME Types, then click New.
3. Type a single asterisk into the Extension box.
4. Type application/octet-stream into the MIME Type box.
5. Click OK.

Now IIS 6 will serve up any file to a client requesting it regardless of the file's extension. But this approach does this globally for all sites on the server--you can also do it on a per site basis using each website's properties pages because MIME settings are additive not overriding in IIS 6.

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:14 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content