Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 16 2024 @ 03:12 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Important questions on "Comments"

Bison

Anonymous
1) What is the maximum number of words allowed in "Comments" ? Where can I change this value ?
2) What is the number of comments per page by default ? Where can I change this value ? Can this be paginated like forum ?
3) How can I convert links or emails to a short form http...something in case they are too long to break the comments table design? Can someone help me

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The max. size of a comment depends on several factors, but the first limit you're probably going to run into is that imposed by the data type used in the database, which is TEXT and limited to 65000 characters. You could change that to LONGTEXT, which gives you 4GB in theory, but your browser and/or webserver will probably throw a fit much earlier.

There's a $_CONF['comment_limit'] in config.php, which defaults to 100 and I think if you have more than that number of comments, it starts paginating. Never tested that myself, I have to admit ...

As for your last question: Use HTML instead of posting URLs in plain text mode - then you have full control over how long those links get.

bye, Dirk

Bison

Anonymous
Thanks Smile Dirk

I meant how to limit the words in comment eg an user at a time not more than 1000 or say, 5000 words. Is that possible via the config.php ?

Robin

Forum User
Quote by Bison:I meant how to limit the words in comment eg an user at a time not more than 1000 or say, 5000 words. Is that possible via the config.php ?

I don't think you can manage it via config.php however this can be easily achieved via implementing a simple javascript that will monitor the desired number of chars and notify users that the limit has been reached.
Geeklog Polish Support Team

Bison

Anonymous
Thanks Robin.

yes the js option is there but in browsers like opera ff it is easily turned off ........ a php solution will be welcome

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:12 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content