Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 02:33 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

error on pingback

phpsocialclub

Forum User
Junior
I am trying to figure out this new functions

when I click on the submit button, I get this error

Ping-O-Matic Invalid return payload: enable debugging to examine incoming payload

anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do enable debugging.

Andrew
I work for a Wilmington NC Attorney

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I believe the problem is at Ping-o-Matic's end, as I couldn't ping it from two of my sites either. Try it again later ...

bye, Dirk

P.S. "ping" and "pingback" are actually two different features.

s_witch

Forum User
Chatty
Not that I am wanting to doubt Dirk's word at all...but are we totally sure this is a problem at Ping-O-Matic's end?

I am experiencing the exact same problem on 2 different sites hosted on 2 different servers. It may of course be co-incidental, but the problem appeared for me after upgrading from GL1.4.0rc2 to GL1.4.0 on both sites.

Based on Dirk's previous comments, I have tried to ping Ping-O-Matic on various days at various times and I keep receiving the same error described above. So I am now beginning to suspect that perhaps it might be a GL problem?

Any further experience with this?
Regards Jill

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by s_witch: Not that I am wanting to doubt Dirk's word at all...but are we totally sure this is a problem at Ping-O-Matic's end?

Actually, no. I'm beginning to believe that the problem is elsewhere, but haven't had the time to look into it.

bye, Dirk

s_witch

Forum User
Chatty
Ah ok...no problem. I'm sure you'll sort through the issue in due course. Thanks for the response! Very Happy
Regards Jill

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Okay, so I wanted to look into it - and now it worked Confused

To anyone having problems pinging Ping-O-Matic:

1) Check that you have the latest version of the PEAR XML_RPC library. The file system/pear/XML/RPC.php (or wherever your PEAR library is located) should have this line in the header (line 35 or thereabouts):
Text Formatted Code
 * @version    CVS: $Id: RPC.php,v 1.88 2005/10/15 20:29:43 danielc Exp $

That's the version that ships with Geeklog 1.4.0 and 1.4.0sr1 (XML_RPC 1.4.5).

2) If you get the error message mentioned above, enable the debug mode and try again: In system/lib-pingback.php, there are three lines
Text Formatted Code
//$client->setDebug (1);

all of which are commented out. The first one is for pingbacks, the other two are for sending the normal and extended pings.

Activate those two and try again. You will get some debug information on the top of the screen, followed by the "headers already sent" message which you can ignore in this case. Post the debug information here.

bye, Dirk

s_witch

Forum User
Chatty
Dirk thanks for looking at this. I checked the version of the PEAR XML_RPC library and I am running the same version as the one you indicated.

After I enabled the debug mode and sent another ping to Ping-O-Matic, I got the following output at the top of the screen:

Text Formatted Code
---GOT---
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.1
Content-type: text/html
Content-Length: 0
Server: LiteSpeed
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 11:51:34 GMT
Connection: close

---END---

Oh and yes I am still encountering the error. I hope this means more to you than it does to me Mr. Green
Regards Jill

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
"Content-Length: 0" would mean that Ping-O-Matic sent an empty response. It's supposed to respond with a small XML snippet, though.

So I guess the ping does get through, but the response is not what Geeklog expects. I'll have to contact Matt ...

bye, Dirk

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
FWIW, I just successfully sent a Ping for Oliver's Google Maps article. Nothing was changed here on the site, yet the last time I tried (for the 1.4.0sr2 article), it didn't work, i.e I got the same empty response as quoted above. Go figure ...

bye, Dirk

s_witch

Forum User
Chatty
cheerful
FWIW, I just successfully sent a Ping for Oliver's Google Maps article. Nothing was changed here on the site, yet the last time I tried (for the 1.4.0sr2 article), it didn't work, i.e I got the same empty response as quoted above. Go figure ...

Odd indeed. I'm not too worried by it all - I'll just leave things in debug mode for now so that I can verify if the ping has actually got through or not. The error message received is more annoyance factor than anything else I guess. Wink

Any ideas on why Ping-O-Matic might send empty responses in some instances? Have you spoken to them at all?

Regards Jill

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by s_witch: Any ideas on why Ping-O-Matic might send empty responses in some instances? Have you spoken to them at all?

I've emailed Matt but didn't get a response. From their blog, they seem to be busy with partial rewrites and server moves, so maybe that explains some of the things we're seeing.

bye, Dirk

s_witch

Forum User
Chatty
Ah yes thanks for the blog link Dirk. Interesting reading.

As a postscript to this, I've sent several story pings successfully tonight with no error messages at all. It appears that this problem might have been at Ping-O-Matic's end after all Wink
Regards Jill

PWR

Forum User
Junior
I've noticed a recent increase in ping errors, here's my debug info:

---GOT---
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Cache-Control: private, no-cache, max-age=0
Pragma: no-cache
Connection: Close

408 Request Timeout
Request Timeout

This request takes too long to process, it is timed out by the server. If it should not be timed out, please contact administrator of this web site to increase 'Connection Timeout'.

---END---

Being a relative newbie, I'm not sure if this is saying ping-o-matic is timing out, or my site is. What do you think?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
FWIW, I also had problems sending out the ping for the Geeklog 1.4.0sr5 release announcement last Sunday. It worked a couple of hours later.

You could try some other ping service in the meantime. See Sending a Ping in Geeklog 1.4 for details.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:33 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content