Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 04:18 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Media Gallery v1.2.0 - SOME questions

Zuaan

Anonymous
I was testing with
MySQL 5.0.15-nt
PHP Version 5.0.5
( as my webhost as well as others are upgrading )
On clicking Create album I get returned to the index page
without the create album form

Is there a way ( like in 4images ) it can work
without any graphic library - just resized images as tmbnails ?

How do I get the digibug button like in demo? what are the files
associated with this
or necessary with this ?

Finally, CONGRATS for this excellent gallery.

mevans

Forum User
Zuaan,

Let's see if we can get these answered:

1. I don't have an answer for this one, not sure why it would return back to the index. Let me look at the code and see if I can find something there. I have not heard of a problem with this before. May very well be something with PHP 5.0.5, I'll put up a test system this evening with PHP 5.0.5 and see if I can duplicate.

2. Unfortunately the answer is no on this one, you must have a graphics library of some type, right now GD Libs, NetPBM or ImageMagick. Without one of these, it simply will not work.

3. Digibug is there, you need to enable it in the Album Attributes. Edit the album, make sure you put a check in the checkbox for Enable Online Printing Service. That will give you the Digibug link for images only (it doesn't display for non-image media like video, flash, etc.

I'll look into the Create Album issue, you might want to look at the page source, see exactly what the create album is calling and then try that command by hand (load that url in your browser). Also, check out your web server's error log and see if anything shows up there to give a clue.

Thanks for the feedback!
Mark

Zuaan

Anonymous
Thanks Mevans , it could be very well a php5 issue and something related with reg globs as well. However the old geekary plugin does work well in the same settings.

2 problems with the Digibug, which is otherwise fantastic :

1) since I will not be owning the affiliate ID I cannot lower prices even if I want
Also Digibug has a strange form that asks for Tax no and rel info which we do not have in our country, or even if we have small hobby site owners may not have taxable income.

2) digibug says the logo or header can be customized to have the same as that of the referring site ( ie my site ) . How does one set this ? Strangely Digibug has no contact info or support forum on their site ?

mevans

Forum User
Zuaan,

You are correct on how Digibug is implemented. Out of the box, Media Gallery comes configured with my affiliate ID, so I get to control the prices. Basically, it is a nice method for me to generate a small bit of revenue to help fund my work on Media Gallery.

There is nothing to stop anyone using Media Gallery to put their own affiliate ID into the template, if folks want to do that, I have no issue with it at all. If you have your own affiliate ID, then you can change the pricing, setup the custom look and feel, etc. To actually customize Digibug's look and feel, you will need to setup an account through their affiliate program and change Media Gallery to use your affiliate ID.

Certainly, I would prefer folks leave my affiliate ID in there and then print thousands and thousands of pictures, then I can tell my wife that all that time I spent on the computer at night really was worth it Smile

Thanks!
Mark

Zuaan

Anonymous
Well, Mevan, Thanks again.
It is really nice that you can make small amount of money ( or big ) - it is certainly what U deserve for sure Smile

The one problem as I said is that I cannot lower the price as prices across all countries do not come SAME - eg a product $5 may be ok for USA customer while the same for an Asia onemay be $2

The other problem :

Downgrading to php4.4 , cleanned cache, and reg glob off solves the problem of album Not being created. has some one teste d ok with php5 and reg glob off ?

BTW : on per album basis how do I turn off certain file types ?

eg : allowing jpg gif on one, while only mp3,wav on another one ?

I hope your wife is already appreciating the softwares worth in true gold, which is nonmeasurable by $$

mevans

Forum User
Zuaan,

To be honest, I don't know if Digibug will even ship outside the US. I probably need to find out exactly where the service will work and where it won't. This is one of the reasons I made it configurable.

There is a service in Europe that services much of that part of the world, but they wanted $200 up front from me to get setup with the API's. Maybe I'll do it later if I get that through donations and/or Digibug dividends, but right now I wasn't willing to put that into it.

I don't think anyone is testing with your specific environment, sounds like Win 2003/PHP 5.0.5 and I assume Apache? Give me some specifics about your setup and I can duplicate it here and see what the problem may be.

Right now there is no method to limit file types by album. Not a bad idea, I'll put it on the list for a future version. I also do not limit file size or allowable resolutions, your idea will fit nicely with that enhancement too.

Thanks for the feedback!
Mark

Zuaan

Anonymous
Thanks a LOT, Mevans.

The testing environs
============
win XP , Apache, PHP5.05 - things work fine - eg. installation etc are a breeze. "Creat Album" redirects to index page even putting the actual url. HOWEVER downgrading to PHP 4.4 and checkin for reg glob is specifically OFF things work fine.
IF you are sure, things work fine in LAMP with php 5+ , then its OK
Note : the old plugin geekary works in all environs.

File types and sizes
============

Can there be any hard coding or manipuln in the dtabase table to limit type and size ? This infact would bevery handy and is indeed a feature which geekary had

Digibug
=====

They do not ship outside USA ? My goodness! They do not have any contact ir support - Do you know of any ?
Any idea how you can customize the order page with your header / logo ?? They say you can do it in their faq.
Since, all users do not have the tax related info, as I was saying u earlier, using YOUR affiliation is a GOOD idea and very helpful thus.

Best wishes.

mevans

Forum User
I'll do some testing with PHP v5 and see what pops up.

Right now, nothing hardwired into the system for image types or sizes, but I will get it in the next release (after 1.2.0 goes prod, tenative schedule is Feb Cool.

Digibug, I'm actually talking with them right now to get more details and information. I'll add what I find to the Media Gallery documentation.

Thanks!
Mark

Zuaan

Anonymous
Thanks, it is good to know that file type and sizes are coming as options.

It is also very good to know that Digibug can be talked to, as the site has noting via which one can contact them. Since you already own one affiliate, it will be nice to know that ( via different events or even different ids ) you cann set different price structures which we as user can get from you.

Best wishes.

mevans

Forum User
Zuaan,

Well, I have spoken with Digibug (very helpful folks overthere!). They will pretty much ship anywhere in the world. The list of countries is around 195 entries long. I will actually put the list on the Media Gallery documentation.

As for the PHP 5 issue, I've tested now using PHP 5.1.2 on a FreeBSD system with register_globals=off, everything working as it should.

I have a Win2003 server in the lab that I'll throw 5.0.5 (if I can find it to download) and see if I can duplicate the issue.

Thanks!
Mark

Zuaan

Anonymous
Hello Mevans, Thanks a lot again for the immnese effort you are taking for the MediaGallery.

If you have no problem with php 5.1.2 you need NOT test further with 5.0 or lesser versions - also 99.99 users will be running these scripts on Linux Smile

About the Digibug, it is another excellent idea if it can be used as a plugin for ANY gallery with your affiliate thing and those who want the feature JUST as hobby / non-profit for themselves ( like me ) . Currently I use Geekary which does a fantastic job ( except the comments may be ) and it would be an excellent thing if Digibug plugin can be used on this till one finds enough time and resources and means to shift to mediagallery, which, btw, is due for another release in Feb

Cheers * Best wishes *

jtreadway

Anonymous
Hello - I'm from Digibug.

Has Digibug been fully integrated with Geeklog? In reading the posts it's not clear. If so, can someone send me a link? I want to make sure we list this as an integration in our forums and on our site as well.

We now have forums (as you already may have guessed) and contact info on the corporate site. Please feel free to post any questions, recommendations, etc. on our forums. We are monitoring them.

We are working on a v2 of our API and would love any feedback or feature requests (again - post on the Digibug forums) so this can be more valuable to you.

Feel free to email me directly as well - jtreadway at digibug

mevans

Forum User
John,

Digibug has been integrated with Media Gallery, a multi-media plugin for Geeklog. I sent you an email with more details.

Thanks!
Mark

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:18 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content