Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 08:34 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

unsolvable problem - encoded characters using forum

Mina

Forum User
Junior
confused
I did post the following in portalparts.com and haven't seen anyone's reply. So, I am trying to post here again to see if anyone could help me out with this issue.... This issue only happens with Forum.
I don't see this problem with the general "Story" submission. I am confused why it works with Story submission and problem with Forum...

=================
I have the forum plugin installed fine. I can initially "submit" forum with the korean characters fine. (note: I have changed meta tags as below so users will not have to do the view/encoding Korean)

Text Formatted Code
<meta http-equiv="content-language" content="ko">
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=euc-kr">

When I click on the "preview" or when I "edit" the initial articles, korean characters in the textarea appear gibberish.

I did some research and I saw something about "accept-charset" attribute in the textarea element. So I added the follow to the html:

Text Formatted Code
<textarea accept-charset="EUC-KR".....
<FORM accept-charset="EUC-KR" ......

Nothing worked!!!! Sad
I also found another suggestion as below...

Text Formatted Code
str= new String(str.getBytes("8859_1"), "euc-kr");

However, it is written in java. I am not a PHP gru and not sure where and how I can apply this change... Or can you please provide a different solution?

Would you be able to help?

PS> YOu can see this yourself. Here is a Korean word: 안녕
Copy/Paste that korean word to the forum entry. Click on the Preview and take a look at the textarea. It looks something like this now: ¾È³ç which is not readable. This problem also happens when I "edit". This problem does NOT happen with the initial Submit.

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:34 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content