Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 11:51 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

upgrade to the newer version

Mina

Forum User
Junior
Hi, when I click on the geeklog version, I get the following message:

For the Geeklog version you are running (1.3.9sr1), there are two upgrade paths available: You can either upgrade to the most recent version (1.3.11sr3) or, if you don't want to do that just yet, we suggest that you at least upgrade to version 1.3.9sr4 as soon as possible.

Do I need to do the full installation or can I just do the copy/paste certain files? I was trying to upgrade to 1.2.11sr3 and clicked on that page. It says to do the full installation. I am afraid of doing the full installation. I have some static pages and also I have created some blocks which contains html. I also hacked code and changed code to disable certain links. If I do the full installation, I will have to change the code again, correct? I am also afraid of loosing data...

Please share your thoughts.... Thanks!

Turner

Anonymous
Yikes!

Yeah. If you do a full install, you likely will lose all of your hacks and Lord knows what else.

You should do a backup. I mean copy and then copy again your installation to a CD. Then make a zip of your entire Geeklog installation and then copy it to the CD.

Do a full install.

Slowly check and add/fix your hacks, etc...

Personally, I would try to add custom code ONLY in lib-custom. It is a pain to have to deal with hacks after an upgrade. But maybe its just me...

Auspexian

Anonymous
I always find that I do the ugprade on the database, and
a full replacement of geeklog and public_html.
Then merge my changes in manually.

J.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Mina: I have some static pages and also I have created some blocks which contains html.

Those are stored in the database and will be carried over to the new version. It can't hurt to have a backup, of course.

Quote by Mina: If I do the full installation, I will have to change the code again, correct?

Yep.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:51 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content