Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 03:57 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Uploading any file (word, pdf, excel) to a story

gl_user

Anonymous
At the moment geeklog allows only image files to be uploaded to a story. Is it possible to let it upload any file to a story?

I'm writing a story about some, say, thesis and I want to upload (attach) the thesis to the story. Is it possible?

Blaine

Forum User
The advanced Editor feature in GL 1.4 includes a file browser that allows uploadiing of any file type and you can associate a icon or thumbnail image if you want instead of it appearing just as a link.

The file is uplaoded to the web server.

The File Browser that is integrated into the FCKEditor in GL 1.4 is capable of supporting and handling a lot more then just images.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

1000ideen

Forum User
Thanks, that`s good news. So I can finally upload mp3 etc. I didn`t notice this yet although I tested the beta.

gl_user

Anonymous
I've tried to upload (attach) a pdf file to a story at http://demo.geeklog.net.

here's what I got:

Mime type, application/pdf, or extension of ZuckerDocs_DataSheet.pdf not in list of allowed types.

gl_user

Anonymous
Quote by gl_user:
Mime type, application/pdf, or extension of ZuckerDocs_DataSheet.pdf not in list of allowed types.

Do I have to set the file types in config.php first or what?

1000ideen

Forum User
How can I turn on the mp3 upload in FCKEd? I`m receiving an error it is not an allowed format.

guest, obviously

Anonymous
Oh, come on...why doesn't anyone reveal why demo.geeklog.net has no "file manager" (and if it is, what filetypes does it accept) and how do you define filetypes in general?

LWC

Forum User
Well, not only does it not work in the demo site (neither defining types nor uploading none images), but in my own v1.4 installation too.

Was Blaine totally wrong about the file browser?

Benta

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by gl_user: At the moment geeklog allows only image files to be uploaded to a story. Is it possible to let it upload any file to a story?

I'm writing a story about some, say, thesis and I want to upload (attach) the thesis to the story. Is it possible?

Why don't you use the filemanager or easyfile plugins?

LWC

Forum User
I assume you meant filemgmt and the reason is that both plugins don't have an active following (sometimes - like once in a year at best - their authors wake up and update something). Besides, unlike galleries, files shouldn't have their own external pages. They should be an internal part of (i.e. attached to) the story.

Try most sites which use those plugins (including this one) and see that the description of the file and its comments are written in a matching story anyway and the plugins are just used to provide a link. A whole page just for a link is useless.

And there is a folder called filemanager in FCKeditor. It just seems like no one here knows (or cares to share) how to actually use it.

Rich

Anonymous
/public_html/fckeditor/editor/filemanager/browser/mcpuk/connectors/php/

check the config file

if your having trouble uploading still, make sure you use the "link" tab to browse the server for your file, not the "image info" tab... on the image info tab you have to select an icon to represent the file type your uploading

DTrumbower

Forum User
Quote by LWC: Well, not only does it not work in the demo site (neither defining types nor uploading none images), but in my own v1.4 installation too.

Was Blaine totally wrong about the file browser?

It works for me. Make sure to make the directories in ./image/library write able.

The editor allows you to select and upload files.

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:57 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content