Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 03:48 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

server load - suspension - now what?

JohnnyWormtown

Forum User
Junior
I keep getting excessive server load warnings from my host and they have now officially suspended my account. My geeklog install didn't have anything too wacked out going on, besides some custom templates and the forum plugin.

Anyway, I might be able to convince them to put the account back online, but what should I try? How hard is upgrading to 1.4.0 (I'm 1.3.11sr2 now)? How stable is it?

They did give me access to a backup of all the files on my site, so I have a huge sql file... if I decide to go to another host and try a "fresh" install of geeklog, how difficult would it be to get that database to be recognized by the fresh install?

Any advice, even if it's just to other articles here would be helpful. I just didn't get any good results from the search. Me and the forum search have never gotten along well.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
We tend to think that Geeklog doesn't cause too much of a server load for a reasonably sized site.

The FAQ has an article How can I speed up my Geeklog site? which may provide some insights.

In the case of moving to another hosting service, see Migrating a Geeklog site

bye, Dirk

JohnnyWormtown

Forum User
Junior
thank you, the move has gone well so far... the bulk of geeklog and it's database moved over just fine. getting my tweaks and such re-applied was easier than I thought it would be. And tweaking the professional theme to my color scheme has been kind of fun actually... still running into a background color that got away here and there...

Now, I'm just dealing with the daunting task of getting the forum plugin reinstalled and restored... then the private messenger... and then I'll be good to go! Hoorah!

It's not quite live again, but you can see it at http://www.wormtown.og/index.php if you're curious.

Thanks again.

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:48 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content