Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 11:02 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Unblocked stories in blocked topics!

LWC

Forum User
Recently, I have moved stories that tracked a lot of spammers - and were not blocked from anonymous access - into topics that are.

After putting those stories in safe places and also since Spam-X was shipped with Geeklog (yea, I've updated to the last mt-blocklist), I've decided it was time to once again enable anonymous comments.

One day later I've got dozens - dozens - of spam comments...to THOSE stories (in the no anonymous access' topics)!

How come? Those topics are blocked from anonymous access!

And what can I do now?!

The easiest thing is to delete comments by the commentator's IP address via Spam-x's "Edit IP Blacklist", but mass delete ignores it! Perhaps it only works for future comments?

Then, importing Geeklog's censor list to "Edit Personal Blacklist" is no good because Geeklog has automatically censored the comments!!!

I actually tried adding the word "**censored**", but other than the fact that legit comments may have been censored, most comments used words that were not censored (and some of them don't even have links).

If I'm forced not to use an IP address, which would have been the easiest way, what can I do? There are too many unique words in those comments!

Please help!

P.S.
For .htaccess purposes (for the future), the spammer used no referrer.

LWC

Forum User
I've just read it's fixed in 1.3.11sr3! It's great to realize my posts are noticed even if I get no replies.

Anyway, I just thought it was a flaw in the topics' protection. It's scary to think (according to what you wrote) it happened when the stories were protected directly.

Thanks for the fix!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Yeah, sorry, should at least have sent you an email ...

Btw, our preferred procedure for reporting supposed security issues is outlined here.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:02 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content