Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 10:41 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

PORTAL BLOCKS - Attempt to update with every refresh

joshtravis

Forum User
I'm having trouble with the Local Weather and Local Headlines portal blocks on JTravis.us

The blocks seem to make an attempt to refresh everytime the page is refreshed. unfortunately both feeds have a 60 minute speed limit on their hosts, so I frequently get errors from the feeds telling me to slow down.

I think I've read that the feeds are only supposed to be requesting updates every 60 minutes, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Could you direct me to the correct file and line to validate the 60 minute rule?

i get tired of seeing the errors on my page.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by joshtravis: I think I've read that the feeds are only supposed to be requesting updates every 60 minutes, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

They are. This is the first time I've ever heard of problems with this, so I'm a bit stumped.

I can only think of problems with the server's time right now. Or maybe different time settings for the webserver and the database server or something like that. Those should be apparent elsewhere, though, eg. when posting new stories or comments.

Quote by joshtravis: Could you direct me to the correct file and line to validate the 60 minute rule?

It's hard-coded in function COM_rdfCheck in lib-common.php:
Text Formatted Code
$nextupdate = $date + 3600;

bye, Dirk

joshtravis

Forum User
OK, my host is in eastern time and I am in Central. I never really pay attention to time on my site, so I may have something related to time set incorrectly by one hour. I'll keep digging. Thanks for using fresh eyes on this. I was stumped too. At least you gave me a new direction.

I really love Geeklog by the way. I'm trying to learn from the way it is all coded to clean up some of my own stuff at work.

joshtravis

Forum User
cheerful
Quote by joshtravis: I'll keep digging. Thanks for using fresh eyes on this. I was stumped too. At least you gave me a new direction..

Very Happy Issue resolved...

After doing a little reading, I realized I needed to take advantage of the timezone hack by setting $_CONF['timezone'] = 'CST6CDT' in config.php

joshtravis

Forum User
Quote by joshtravis: Very Happy Issue resolved...

It looks like I spoke too soon. Dirk (or anyone) could you test this rss feed?

Refresh whatever page you put it on a few times and see if it says "slow down." It's doing it again...

RSS Weather Feed for Brighton, TN

Text Formatted Code
http://www.rssweather.com/rss.php?hwvUT=F&hwvUP=in&hwvUS=mph&hwvUV=mi&hwvCCChange=forecast&hwvSF=N&maxdays=1&daysonly=2&hwvStyle=ce&place=brighton&state=tn&country=us&county=47167&zone=TNZ049&alt=rss20a

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by joshtravis: Refresh whatever page you put it on a few times and see if it says "slow down."

I also get that message, so something's wrong here. Haven't had a chance to dig any deeper ...

bye, Dirk

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Now that I've finally come around to setting up an environment to debug the problem, it doesn't happen any more ...

Is anyone else having this problem with this or similar feeds?

bye, Dirk

lsvf98

Forum User
I'm seeing a portal refresh everytime the page is loaded. It appears to be for both the weather block and the rss feeds from slashdot and groklaw. I load the page and hit reload and it will still contact the sites for the feed, even though it had just grabbed the feed a few seconds before. I'm on 1.3.11sr2, is there something I have set wrong?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by lsvf98: I load the page and hit reload and it will still contact the sites for the feed, even though it had just grabbed the feed a few seconds before.

It shouldn't do that. And there's nothing for you to configure here - the one hour delay is hard-coded.

A thought I just had: Are you using the timezone hack?

bye, Dirk

lsvf98

Forum User
I'm not using the timezone hack.

lsvf98

Forum User
It must be something to do with my setup. I set the time in the COM_rdfcheck to 7200 and that stopped the update on every refresh.

joshtravis

Forum User
Quote by lsvf98: I set the time in the COM_rdfcheck to 7200 and that stopped the update on every refresh.

I've done the same and the issue seems to be resolved. I'm guessing still that it has something to do with me being in central time, using the time hack because the web and database servers are in eastern time.

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:41 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content