Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 05:35 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Could use some simple help with .htaccess

knuff

Forum User
Hi,

Has been a while since I posted here, mainly because RL outside fooling around with GL took up (and is still taking up) all my time.

Truely sorry to some very nice people around here who most probably wondered why I never replied. I was (and still am till 01/2006) very busy.

Now coming to the point Mr. Green

I have my own little box with quite a history on it outside of GL (forums and stuff like UBBThreads) and just now my box seems to be used to process some spam mail through one of the old sites.

What I want to do is simple (but after two hours of googling I feel lost and turn here).

I have about 5 sites I want to temporary block from the outside world, and whathever link is used they should be redirected to adifferentsite.com/be_patient.html

So a simple redirect for everything in a site to one page with a simple "Be Patient ..." page.

When googling I find theser days a lot of fancy stuff and a lot of refrence to use 301 and buzz words like SEO, but it is not permanent, and I don´t want to upset search engines by misleading them.

Once I havce set this up, I will reinstall them all to GL (one platform is much easier to maintain) and then I will come back on the 301 issue, but for now, anyone can help me out with a simple .htaccess redirect / modrewrite to have all pages point to a simple page

I AM missing the obvious, I know ... but I want to close the SPAM hole as soon as possible ...

Thanks a lot,

Boris
Vanrillaer.com - our Family Portal

ironmax

Anonymous
What kind of spam are you talking aabout? Referal spam, posting spam in the site, or email spam? Please be more specific.

knuff

Forum User
To be specific, I was talking about this kind of annoying SPAM that is send to peoples mailbox from innocent people webservers, because they left a door open and someone was capable of dropping a webserved page that sends mail to the webserver.

I found already one of the doors and closed it, but now I want to close a few buildings and go through them, check all the doors, and re-open them after I checked them out.

What I am currently doing is placing on the root level of the web directory of the building I want to close following .htaccess file

Text Formatted Code

Redirect / http://www.my-site-that-is-secure-and-clean.net/

then on the my-site-that-is-secure-and-clean.net I have one index.html file, saying whatever, and that one should be shown all time.

To get this working I redirect the 404 also to this file on the new site
So it´s .htaccess looks like this

Text Formatted Code

ErrorDocument 404 /index.html

Now this is I guess a pretty ugly way of doing it, but it does the trick.

If anyone knows a more clean way, let me know.

Thanks,
Boris

ironmax

Anonymous
If you are running your own email server, you may want to try SPAMFilter at http://www.logsat.com/sfi-download.asp and give that a try. I use it on my domain and it works wonderful. I get no SPAM what so ever. It eliminates those drive by spammers and others from sending you email thats not legit. Take a look at the link and you'll see what all the features are. Give it a try, its free.

knuff

Forum User
Thanks for the link.
Interesting, but only usefull if you run Mickeysoft and wouldn´t fix anything in my case.

And it´s not so much receiving spam, as sending spam.

Actually completly forget about the spam, that´s only the end result, it is really about .htaccess on apache.

Thanks again,
B.

ironmax

Anonymous
knuff...just went to your site and got Template Error: set_root: /home/sites/home/web/layout/bleu is not a directory.
Halted.

knuff

Forum User
Thanks, was just upgrading some stuff.
Should be fixed now.

Doh! - that was a mistake

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:35 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content