Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 11:51 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

admin post stories

jollymoon

Forum User
Junior
Why can't admin or ROOT users post their own stories?

I can make a new story under a new user with a root account and then log out. The story appears in the SUBMISSIONS que when I log in as admin.

As soon as admin "approves" the story it disappears. This happens whether Admin EDIT or FRONT PAGE or TOPIC only

This happens with every ROOT user I create. I even deleted cookies before I logged in to avoid the double cookie/read booboo.

I even checked the topic permissions and set them to all Checks in the little boxes when Admin creates a new topic or tries to post to it.

Help

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Sounds odd. Users in the Root group are also in the Story Admin group, which means that their story posts should NOT end up in the submission queue but appear on the site immediately.

Also, what do you mean by stories "disappear"? Have you checked the database?

bye, Dirk

jollymoon

Forum User
Junior
When admin or ROOT user adds a story it appears immediately.

The stories appear in the DataBase at SQL.

The stories appear in the Stories Admin page.

They do not appear on the front page.

They do not appear on the selected TOPIC page.

They are added no where else except the stories admin page.

No other user has posted a story yet, so I don't know what happens then.

I can create a dummy account and add a story for approval, it enters the que, when admin logs in and approves the story, it appears no where else save the stories page. It can be deleted or edited, but it does not go to the Topic Page or the Front Page.

I am using 1.3.9 with XSilver theme. I have another geeklog on a different webpage (exact same setup) and don't have this problem.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
What about group ownership? Which group owns the topics and those stories? Have you tried creating a new topic and posting stories there? Did you delete any users or groups recently?

bye, Dirk

jollymoon

Forum User
Junior
I give up...

Don't know what changed but new users can send a story, it enters the que and the Admin can approve it and it goes to the right topic/frontpage.

Admin CanNot add a new story. I made sure the cookies were delete in IE6 before I logged on as Admin. The story appears on the Stories Page but not in Topic or Front Page.

Group ownership remains with root accounts or Admin or the Group i.e. story, links, topic, etc. No groups were created or deleted recently.

Also, I found this rather curious: Emails will NOT go to Admin's own ISP, in this case, earthlink, but all others work, but the webpage is hosted at powweb.com

: Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=earthlink.net type=A: Host found but no data record of requested type

sure hope I can get this to work...

jollymoon

Forum User
Junior
Found part of the problem with the email to Admin's own ISP/earthlink...

Php.ini was missing:

; For Win32 only.
;sendmail_from = me@localhost.com
sendmail_from = webmaster@atlantadowntownministry.com

I had left the me@localhost.com there...

thanx

Wonderful stuff!

jollymoon

Forum User
Junior
help

the above messages ALL still apply.

I have tried for two days digging through php's, lib-common, configs, paths, etc. and I still can't get ADMIN to post or correctly place stories.

I did all the things you have suggested so far, including making a new TOPIC, adding a story....NO GO for it getting posted. It goes in the story list at story.php, but will not appear anywhere else.

jollymoon

Forum User
Junior
I just found out that the notification email to the webmaster for story submission approval contained a link to Edit the Story at the bottom:

http://www.atlantadowntownministry.com/admin/moderation.php

But I get a 404 error when clicked ... does this have anything to do with the stories being posted? Is Moderation.php envolved in editing and updating stories?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by jollymoon: http://www.atlantadowntownministry.com/admin/moderation.php

But I get a 404 error when clicked ... does this have anything to do with the stories being posted? Is Moderation.php envolved in editing and updating stories?

Works from here. It asks me to log in, of course, but doesn't give a 404. And no, this file does not have anything to do with your problems.

I can only assume that some permissions in your database have been messed up. But it's really difficult to diagnose something like that remotely ...

bye, Dirk

jollymoon

Forum User
Junior
Thanx for trying Dirk...

The 404 error came from my email that I received notifiying me that I had a new story submission in the que. When I clicked on the link inside the email to go and approve that story THAT link was wrong because it was missing the "admin/" portion.

I thought this might be some sort of path error, but I don't know where to look, because everything else works great.

If I go to the SQL database in myphpadmin for my account what sort of permissions / items / places should I look for? And could I find that by reading the PHP manual?

I have spent too many hours on this page to reinstall the whole thing.

Is there some sort of mini upload that would only u/l the critical files like lib-security.php? What about an update from 1.3.9s1 to 1.3.9s4 ?

I just want the Admin to be able to post and properly edit stories. Admin can edit/post/change/update anything else without problems. Where would one look to narrow down the possiblities for just Stories?

Thanx for your help, I understand a passion for working on these things and I enjoy a good puzzle, but this is KILLING me.

jollymoon

Forum User
Junior
Big Celebration

You guys are great, especially Dirk...

After all this trouble and 3 days of agonizing over lines and lines of paths, configs, and 2 complete TEST fresh installs of 1.3.9 IT WORKs.

I even compared two SQL data bases from the new uploads just to help find the problem.

Every story that was created by ADMIN before this problem was disregarded until I went into ALL the directories [config & public_html, etc. ] and CHMod'd to 755 for every PHP file...... and it works... perfectly...

What a dunce...must have missed CHMod ing one of those PHP files at install.

Story notifications to the ADMIN work...and after approval can be moved and placed correctly !

.....AND ALL IS WELL WITH THE WORLD....

Doh! - that was a mistake

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:51 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content