Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 07:52 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Geeklog used as Galleryblog with community parts

Benqo

Anonymous
Hi,

currently I'm in the middle of a website move. The original site was driven with a weblog, which provided mostly funny images.

Now I'm moving the site to a new server and a new domain and I use this moment to redesign it completly. Also a thought of is to change the current weblog software, Serendipity in that case, to something else.
I need specially a gallery plugin, which, as first point, is fully integrated to the weblog software and, as the second point, uses a user management system, so that visitors are forced to register and login. Thererfore they may use the forum for trading pictures, but without having the ability to upload them, they should rather use external providers like Imageshack or similar. Additionally it should be possible to post the preview pics of the gallery in weblog entries.
The only ones, able to upload to the gallery, are moderators, better administrators.

My question is, if such things are possible with GL.

Also of a high interest is, how difficult it is to create a unique theme for your GL driven page. Is it quite hard, do you have to handle thousands of snippets?

For the forum part I've seen that a special own-developed forum plugin exists for the latest release. I don't know if a register plugin or similar exists, too. BTW, can anonymous posting be disabled in this plugin?

I also reviewed other systems like e107, XMB, phpBB/Addons as well, but either the structure and knowledge collection is spread too widely, or too many ressources are existing wich makes a quick stepin quite hard.

Many thanks in advance for your time reading this and also for possible answers.

Regards, Benqo

machinari

Forum User
Quote by Benqo:
I need specially a gallery plugin, which, as first point, is fully integrated to the weblog software
Geekary exists as an integrated photo gallery. Gallery also exists and though not designed with GL in mind does integrate nicely Also, Inmmemoriam will have a release ready to go by the end of august (no guarantees).
Quote by Benqo:
and, as the second point, uses a user management system, so that visitors are forced to register and login.
All three employ a configuarable permissions system of some type and all three make use of the GL user database.

There are others... you'll have to try them out and see what suits your needs best

Benqo

Anonymous
Hi,

well, I hardly can interpret your answer. Does this mean GL could do the job or not? A word about Geekary: is it already integrated and comes with the core package?
The permission system currently used in Gallery isn't very suitable for me, version 2 would make it better, as far as I've tested.
What others do you mean? I'm new to GL, so I really appreciate any tip or hint you can give me.

Many thanks, Benqo

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
See the FAQ: Is there an image gallery for Geeklog?

I wouldn't recommend Geekary, though. That plugin is old and seems to cause problems with current Geeklog versions. The only usable gallery solutions at the moment are Gallery and MIG (and maybe Machinari's own plugin, but that's not out yet).

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:52 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content