Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 01:50 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Custom Right Block in Article Veiw

Sonnyb

Forum User
Junior
Hi,
With some help from Geeklog I'm now getting 500+ hits a day on my lyics website. Not bad for a website that's only been live about 6 weeks. I want to see if I can convert some of those hits to $$$.

I want to modify the right blocks displayed while viewing an article. Instead of what's related I want to insert some Amazon Banner code in a right block. Where do I change the title and contents of the "What's Related" Block?

Also, I thought it would be really cool if I could put the article name in the amazon code to pass a search term on to amazon. That way I'll get a banner with CDs from the artist the lyrics is from. Here's an example of the Amazon code I want to use:
Text Formatted Code
<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=lyricalrampag-20&o=1&p=14&l=st1&mode=music&search=Green%20Day&fc1=&=1&lc1=&lt1=&f=ifr&bg1=&f=ifr" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" width="160" height="600" border="0" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" scrolling="no"></iframe>

I want to take out this: green%20day
And substitute the name of the an article, {story_title}
which would be Green Day in this example.

I tried just substituting {story_title} in the Amazon code in a normal block, but the result is a generic amazon banner. I think I need to use a PHP block but I don't know if there's a PHP block function I can use or do I have to write some php code to do it?

I'm use GL 1.3.11 with a slightly modified Professional Theme.

Heres's the site:
http://www.bertoncini.net/lyrics

Thanks,
Sonny

beewee

Forum User
If you can't donate
Please click a banner.

Just a hint: The Adsense program doesn't allow that, if they spot it you might loose your Adsense account (and earnings..)
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

inquest750

Forum User
Regular Poster
I just finished a website and can use some help generating traffic.... how did you get so many hits in such a short amount of time... did you advertise?

Sonnyb

Forum User
Junior
Thanks Beewee, I'll change the donate thing to remove the click a banner stuff. It seemed harmless enough :-)

As far as generating traffic goes, I tried to make the sight search engine friendly. I made sure I added this to the header.thtml for my theme with the other metadata:

I also followed the advice I found on this forum for setting up a robot.txt. I registered with google adsense, I noticed that got more googlebot visits, or maybe it was a coincidence :-)

Most of the traffic I get is based on google hits for song lyrics I track. I add all lyrics that show up on a couple of Billboard.com single charts. I got 563 unique visits yesterday and 415 so far today with 6 hours of prime web surfing time to go. I had a problem with GUS last week and I'm missing a week of data, but before GUS died I was getting only 30-40 visits a day. The prime driver of hits seems to be lyrics filled with miserable teen angst like Nine Inch Nails, Staind, Dark New Day and Papa Roach. Music to slit your wrists by. Go figure.

I haven't paid for any advertising yet although I was thinking about it. If I can generate a little money I'll use it to pay for google ad impressions. Although I may have to upgrade my internet connection if the trend continues

Now does anybody out there have any input about my original question?

Sonnyb

Forum User
Junior
Any ideas out there?

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:50 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content