Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 09:49 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

File Directory Layout Question

quantumqwn

Forum User
confused
I have a question concerning file folder layout in my site directory. I am having issues because geeklog is not currently in my main site directory (although once I have it working properly I plan to move it there and overwrite the existing main site). In any case for now the geeklog site is instead in a subsite directory. What I mean by this is that if the main site was called for example "mymainsite.com" then the geeklog site is at "geeklogsite.mymainsite.com". What this means in terms of my file directory is that the main geeklog directory is in a folder called (using the example above) "geeklogsite" WITHIN the file folder "public_html." All of the directions and documentation assume the geeklog directory is installed as the main site (and thus CONTAINS the file folder "public_html" instead of being contained WITHIN it). However in my case at least during the development of the site this is not the case for me. Therefore I am getting confused as to how to have the folders organized, especially since I am now attempting to install the forum plugin and it calls for files and folders to be put outside of and inside of the "public_html" folder. Now, I am wondering, can I just create another "public_html" folder within the "geeklogsite" folder and simply not worry about it being in the main site's "public_html" folder itself? Or should I not use a "public_html" folder in this case and organize my files and folders in another way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Elizabeth Can someone help me

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
See if these make it any clearer for you: Alternative installation instructions

bye, Dirk

quantumqwn

Forum User
Hmm, no as far as I could tell those did not address the issue of when the geeklog directory is under the public_html directory itself. That is my issue...I need to know whether to add another public_html within the geeklog file even though geeklog itself is within public_html. Thanks,
Elizabeth

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
There's also this: Installing Geeklog entirely within the web root

I mean, the structure should be pretty clear and is explained in all the documents I pointed you to. So I don't quite see your problem ...

bye, Dirk

quantumqwn

Forum User
Hmm, okay well I did locate the source of my problems when reading the rough examples portion in the wiki explanation (I had first overlooked this since I was already set up and wondering about file layout not installation)...however here is states that fantastico should not be used to set up geeklog b/c it puts files into the webroot directory accessible to everyone. I didn't know at the time I had a choice not to use or to use fantastico, and I also thought that for some reason all files had to be in the webroot directory since it was a subdirectory (subsite) of the main site. Anyway so I guess that this probably wasn't the case after all. But now my question is how do I go about reconfiguring the file layout to be correct after it has already been installed by fantastico? I have already made changes to the site and whatnot so I am hoping it is possible to change the file layout somehow without reinstalling. Any help would be great! Thanks,
Elizabeth

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Well, I guess by now you know how the layout should really be. Then you only have to move the files into their proper places and adjust the paths in config.php and the one in lib-common.php.

Refer to the original tarball and the installation instructions for reference.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:49 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content