Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 09:36 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

GUS and 404's

machinari

Forum User
limited access pages (those returning the messages similar to, "you don't have permission to view this page...") are being reported by GUS as a 404 in the page views. This makes it difficult to see if there are any real 404s being hit.

It also seems that 404's are being reported for some header refreshes, though I haven't quite tested this one too much so don't pay attention unless you think I'm right Wink

asmaloney

Forum User

I haven't been able to reproduce this. I only enter a 404 page in the DB when that's the page being viewed, so the 'you don't have access' things should not show up as a page view of 404.php...

I don't treat 404.php any differently than any other page. It would be quite nice to have a report of what people are trying to access when they get the 404 so it can be fixed - I'll have to think on that - maybe modifying the 404.php to add some info to the DB...

- Andy

asmaloney

Forum User
Quote by asmaloney: It would be quite nice to have a report of what people are trying to access when they get the 404 so it can be fixed

Sorry to carry on this conversation with myself in public, but thinking about it for more than two seconds, I know how to do this without changing the 404.php. Look for it in the next release...

- Andy

machinari

Forum User
Quote by asmaloney: It would be quite nice to have a report of what people are trying to access when they get the 404 so it can be fixed - I'll have to think on that - maybe modifying the 404.php to add some info to the DB...

- Andy

yes, that would be nice, and I agree that should probably be a function placed in the 404.php itself. It shouldn't really have anything to do with GUS.

But on the original issue, to explain a bit further... If i've set a staticpage or a plugin to be viewed by admin only or by logged in users only, for example, then if I visit the site from a different IP and do not log in (essentially being a new and anonymous visitor) and click on the link to those previously restricted pages, I get the "access denied" messages as I should. When I log in to view those clicks via GUS, I notice that they are all reported as 404's rather than the restricted page.

How do I know it should be the restricted page and not the 404? because I mapped my clicking manually as the anon visitor and compared it to GUS' 'page view' report. ...and I didn't actually view any 404's.

If you cant reproduce the effect with that explanation, then it must be my setup somehow. ...hmmmm, thinking about it now, it may be that I'm using gl 1.3.10--I was sure I upgraded. I'll have to upgrade and see if the matter remains. thanks for your help Andy.

asmaloney

Forum User

OK. Let me know if you find anything.

In the next release, 404s will show up like this to show you what the user was trying to access. I will eventually have a nicer, more direct way to view all 404s, but this is a start.

- Andy

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:36 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content