Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 09:32 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Feeds Help! Please!!

LostPuppy

Forum User
Junior
confused
I simply can't get RSS feeds or any feeds to work with my geeklog site. Its really annoying. The built in one won't work and I can't get the plugin one to work http://www.geeklog.net/filemgmt/singlefile.php?lid=350

Is there a step by step written tutorial to get them working?

How do other people get their feeds to work?

Just for clarification I am talking about having my stories in a feed that others can then put on their sites of our news. Not putting other feeds on my site (when i searched before posting 80% of the threads where about the other thing).

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Well, what have you tried?

Make sure the feed file and the directory it's in are writable (see the installation instructions). Also, make sure you have topics and stories that are visible to anonymous users, since only those will be listed in the feed.

bye, Dirk

LostPuppy

Forum User
Junior
I have double checked premissions , I tried changing the default name of it just so it would create a new one and see if that would work but it didn't.

Our entire site is visible to annon users.

As for the plugin I am 100% sure it didn't work cause I didn't set it up right. The weren't any instructions so I read the code and just sorta put things where I thought they should be. Does anyone have a tutorial for it?

The plugin would be best so I can also have Atom feeds (which most of my users use) but really at this point I would settle for just getting the default working. I followed the instructions for the default that were provided in the documentation. I am in no way saying that its wrong cause its obviously must work for someone or it wouldnt be published. I understand this isn't a complete geeklog error and is much more user error but its so frustrating.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
As for the feed writer classes: Just drop them into /path/to/geeklog/system/classes/

bye, Dirk

LostPuppy

Forum User
Junior
thanks for all the help dirk

here is my current error when i put it there

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '&' in /home/thenake/public_html/staticpages/index.php(59) : eval()'d code on line 1

at least im getting output now (of some kind), im going to see if i can figure this out , if someone already knows the solution please let me know , but hopefully I will figure this out.

LostPuppy

Forum User
Junior
whitch variables do i have to fill in and do i have to pre-create the rdf's and xml''s?

like i should be filling in var $_feedpath = ''; and var $_feedurl = ''; right?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by LostPuppy: whitch variables do i have to fill in and do i have to pre-create the rdf's and xml''s?

Not sure what you mean. Feeds are created from the Admin's "Content Syndication" panel. You don't have to edit any files for that.

bye, Dirk

LostPuppy

Forum User
Junior
i ment for the plugin i mentioned above.

LostPuppy

Forum User
Junior
When I use the default one in geeklog in content syndication it creates it and says it fine but no RSS reader can read it.

Thats why im trying to get th plugin to work.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by LostPuppy: When I use the default one in geeklog in content syndication it creates it and says it fine but no RSS reader can read it.

Have you checked the contents (i.e. that the file actually contains something)? And if so, have you tried running the feed through the feed validator? Oh, and which feed format are we talking about?

bye, Dirk

LostPuppy

Forum User
Junior
Ok...

When I use the content syndication to create the rss it says it works then lists it as a feed in the feed admin panel.

If I open in it Scite (text editor) there is nothing there (which is why RSSReader cant read it).

Should i add my own stuff to it? See I thought about it but if I was adding my own ITEM's and junk how would they get updated without me manualy updating them. Since that kinda defeats the purpose I assumed that wasn't the way to go.

Of course what do I know? nothing is what.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by LostPuppy: When I use the content syndication to create the rss it says it works then lists it as a feed in the feed admin panel.

If I open in it Scite (text editor) there is nothing there (which is why RSSReader cant read it).

Check the file and directory permissions again ...

bye, Dirk

LostPuppy

Forum User
Junior
ok it appears to work if i make everything 777 , am i stuck with this? cause if possible i would love to not give everyone write premissions.

That said , you have no idea how happy i am that its working now.

thanks so much for you help, my faith in geeklog has been restored

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by LostPuppy: ok it appears to work if i make everything 777 , am i stuck with this? cause if possible i would love to not give everyone write premissions.

That's a setup issue with your webserver then. If all the files are properly owned by the webserver user, then only that user would need write permissions.

I know that on some shared hosting environments, only 777 (for the directory) will work ...

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:32 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content