Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 07:11 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

In way over my head...please advise...Geeklog and Gallery

lyle krannichfeld

Anonymous
Ok, so I just installed Geeklog and it's running fine. I am not satisfied with the gallery options available, and I see I can integrate Gallery into Geeklog. Everyone seems so think it's really easy, but I am a complete noob here and all the explanations I've seen go over my head. I've searched high and low for an easy to understand tutorial, but i have had no luck.

In the past I'd installed Geeklog 'manually' on a site, but I found a nifty thing on my control panel that installed it for me (fantastico). Made my day. This is also coincidentally how I found out about Gallery, as it will install that for me as well. So I had it install it in public_html/gallery. It's different enough from Geeklog that I'm totally lost at this point...

Is there an easy to understand tutorial for this? Can someone please rescue me here? I notice people here have done it...

Do I need to just uninstall it and start fresh? But then what?

Thanks in advance!

Lyle

sam

Anonymous
I am also new to this but have a question
after installing gallery to /public_html/gallery did you run the gallery config? the config has an option for intergrating into geeklog and many other settings.

tstockma

Forum User
I haven't used any of those "special" control panel utilities to install either GL or Gallery, so I might be missing something important about how they work--but here's my take--

(Unless your control panel ran this for you, somehow, magically) Sam's got it right, you need to run public_html/gallery/config.php from your web browser to get Gallery to set itself up as an add-on to GL.

You can re-run config a number of times as experiments without having to start over, but I suppose you could muck it up badly enough to have to start over--

BTW installing GL and Gallery might sound "easy" from reading these forums, but it's not easy for many. It wasn't for me, and I've installed Unix packages a bit, and other OS stuff for many years. Yes, I eventually got both to work great for me, but it wasn't quick.

And sometimes when learning, you wipe it all and start over. Once I had GL up and running, I copied the entire public_html and non-public directories out before I added Gallery, and I think I "restored" at least once before I understood Gallery well enough to get it right.

The instructions have everything you need but not necessarily on the first time you read-n-try. Keep reading thru all of them as you modify, read, experiment, read, try again.

Welcome to the Open Source culture! And good luck. If you ask questions and show signs that you're actually working at it, and don't whine or demand, you'll do well and will possibly learn a helluva lot--I know I did.

And I ended up with a terrific web site.
Tom
www.southparkcity.com

geKow

Forum User
@lyle krannichfeld
When you enter the gallery setup page, there should be a tab where gallery asks if it is integrated or not and what is the path to your geeklog public_html directory. Just enter the path and it should be done.
Remember: Gallery is not a plugin, so it won't appear at the Geeklog plugins page

geKow

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:11 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content