Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 07:59 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

SpamX registered trademark

Jeff Hendrickson

Anonymous
happy
My company, hendrickson software components (hsc), is the owner of the registered trademarks, Sp@mX, and SpamX.

I noticed on your web site that you are using this name (SpamX).

I was wondering if you would mind switching this to another name??

tokyoahead

Anonymous
Interesting point. I wonder how much this is a legit claim since spamx in this context is neither a brand nor used by itself. I am not a lawyer but i would be interested whats the point on this.

TM

Anonymous
Quote by Jeff Hendrickson: My company, hendrickson software components (hsc), is the owner of the registered trademarks, Sp@mX, and SpamX.

SpamX has referenced by you is neither trade marked or registered, so its up for grabs.

ScurvyDawg

Forum User
What is the trademark or Patent # so that we may look it up?

I went to the USPTO and could not find your trademark.

xardoz

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by Jeff Hendrickson: My company, hendrickson software components (hsc), is the owner of the registered trademarks, Sp@mX, and SpamX.

Perhaps your interests would be better served by directly contacting the creator of the SpamX plugin, rather than posting on a forum which he may or may not read regularly?

All you're liable to get here is some public abuse - albeit mild abuse, since we're generally a genial bunch - meant to defend one of our own.

Benta

Forum User
Regular Poster

From USPTO:

Word Mark SP@MX, SPAMX, SPAMX
Goods and Services IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: Computer services, namely, on-line and desktop services, namely collecting information from users regarding unwanted e-mails (spam, UCE), and reporting the information to network administrators. FIRST USE: 20031003. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20031003
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 78553062
Filing Date January 24, 2005
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Owner (APPLICANT) Jeffrey K. Hendrickson INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 3573-B S. Stafford St. Arlington VIRGINIA 22206
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

It is generally a good idea to google stuff *before* filing. And to file trademarks that are a little more creative.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I first heard of this product back in December, but it wasn't a registered trademark back then.

I don't think it's worth fighting over this, but it's certainly a nuisance having to change all the references and paths(!) Neutral

bye, Dirk

beewee

Forum User
Well, we're not alone: http://users.forthnet.gr/agn/evas/spamx/
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

machinari

Forum User
you gotta get into your trademark law and realize that trademark dates and registration dates are not the same, nor does registration imply that no one else, especially those who already use the name as a trademark, cannot continue to use that trademark name--that is an issue for the courts to decide if either party wants to take it there.

all that to say, just because some dude registered the name doesn't make it illegal to continue using an already-being-used trademark/name. That would be ridiculous and, infact, trademark law was (re)designed to deal also with this type of issue.

but that's just an "educated" guess Leaves me speechless

knuff

Forum User
Quote by Benta:
From USPTO:

Word Mark SP@MX, SPAMX, SPAMX

FIRST USE: 20031003. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20031003

When you do a quick google on it, you also find this FreshMeat SPAMX dated back to Mon, Sep 30th 2002 05:30 PDT, so I am not so sure that the trademark is valid at all, since there is clearly a predecessor outthere that has been released under a GNU doing exactly the same.

Now that Dirk agreed on using SPAM-X we might get into a naming conflict with with this SPAM-X or this commercial product SPAM-X.

Mr. Green
Vanrillaer.com - our Family Portal

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Well, at least Spam-X isn't a registered trademark (yet Neutral )

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:59 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content