Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 04:47 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

GL instantly forgets my login

Informator

Anonymous
Hey everyone - I love Geeklog, just to start off with. Very Happy Recently though, I've had issues logging in. Essentially, I log in and it shows me my stories (which are set to only display to logged in users), as well as the admin options. When I select ANY option, be it admin, or to read more of a story, or anything, it tells me I'm not allowed to view it and need to be logged in. I log in and it does exactly the same thing over and over again.

Some points:

1) I know my browsers are accepting cookies, don't ask. I've tested it on all major browsers with no difference. Also on an entirely different computer.
2) There is no whitespace in my folders, and the 'I Can't Log In' FAQ provides no help.

Any ideas people? I'm getting pretty panicked!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Any firewall or proxy manipulating or blocking cookies?

bye, Dirk

Informator

Anonymous
Well, I do indeed have a firewall, but I have checked it and it seems to be fine. Like I say, there is nothing I have changed to make it stop working. I have a nasty feeling my server might actually be screwing up because I just tried installing a clean install of 1.3.11 (in a different directory, db etc) and that does pretty much the same thing, except I get a header problem - namely it says headers are already sent by auth.inc.php:115 which was called by a lib-common.php eval(). I checked it out and line 115 is the 'echo $display;' command. I tried removing the space around it and it has no effect. And there is no white space...

Informator

Forum User
To elaborate even further:
Some colleagues seem to have no issues using either installation. I on the other hand am able to log in and see the first screen then no more, as described before. Firefox shows me cookie information which is obviously being ignored or somehow broken. Any ideas?

Benta

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by Informator: Hey everyone - I love Geeklog, just to start off with. Very Happy Recently though, I've had issues logging in. Essentially, I log in and it shows me my stories (which are set to only display to logged in users), as well as the admin options. When I select ANY option, be it admin, or to read more of a story, or anything, it tells me I'm not allowed to view it and need to be logged in. I log in and it does exactly the same thing over and over again.

!

sounds like what my site did when i had the cookiedomain and the default domain set to different names in config.php

Informator

Forum User
OK, got this particular problem sorted! Woo! Big Celebration

Firstly, thanks Benta, that did help - I was using mirrored domains and that was causing issues.

Secondly, having said my firewall was fine, I turned it off for experimentation purposes - and it worked. Doh! - that was a mistake Sorry about that, I shall go and throw ZoneAlarm in the bin for this, then set myself on fire for being a moron.

Thanks everyone!

Diego

Anonymous
Just for future reference.

I had a similar problem where Geeklog would immediately forget my login and solved it by setting the site_url to have the same DNS / IP address as cookie_domain.

For instance (used in a test configuration):

$_CONF['site_url'] = 'http://127.0.0.1/gl';
$_CONF['cookiedomain'] = '127.0.0.1';

Big Celebration

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:47 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content