Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 05:09 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Transferring Web Hosts! HELP!

yankidank

Forum User
Junior
worried
Can someone help me I'm transferring web hosts (not domain) in about 20 days and I am clueless what I need to do to get geeklog working on the new server and how/if I am able to keep all of my current information (users, comments, etc.) in the transfer. I'm moving to a dreamhost.com server, and I have installed geeklog manually before, but it has been some time. Is there anywhere I could go to get instructions on transferring hosts. Or even better, any person to suggest to pay who could do a quick and easy transfer? praying it will work Any help will be more than appreciated.

vadertech

Forum User
Under cpanel go to backups and click on your database and save it to your computer as a *.gz file. also click on "Download a home directory Backup" and download the *.tar.gz file to your computer as well.

If dreamhost.com was using cpanel, then the transfer would be a breeze but since they don't, you will probably have to manually ftp your directories/files to the new server. Email the dreamhost.com admin and ask if they have any kind of restore tool in the control panel.

Next create your new database and go to phpmyadmin and under "browse" select your *.gz database.

Open up your config.php file and modify your database information if it is different from your old database info.

If you need further help, let me know. I have transfered my GL site to 3 different webhost since I began using GL. Now I just host it myself.
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

yankidank

Forum User
Junior
Thanks for the help. I'll start working on the transfer tomorrow. I have noticed though that Dreamhost has a logs folder by default, and stores statistics within the folder. I am not able to add files to the folder or chmod it, is there a way to use a different name for the logs folder or some other workaround for this problem?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
You can change the path in config.php:

$_CONF['path_log'] = $_CONF['path'] . 'logs/';

Or you could install the non-public part of Geeklog in a separate directory, so that it doesn't interfere with the existing directories.

bye, Dirk

arkhan

Forum User
Hello people,

I didn't want to start a new thread and this is the closest thing I can find that addresses my concern:

Is there an official webhost that Geeklog endorses or maybe a list of webhosts that are very Geeklog friendly? One that would have all the Geeklog updates all the time? One that wouldn't have the directories in the wrong place?

Thanks,
Aleem

1000ideen

Forum User
The problem is less the host but the way you install it. If it is done by fantastico you will have all the files below public_html. You may do it manually.

ragortue

Forum User
Hi Arkhan, were you able to make the necessary changes here? How did it work out for you if I may ask?

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:09 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content