Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, March 19 2024 @ 06:12 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Cookies working for different domain names

Benta

Forum User
Regular Poster
brainy
Hello Sirs!

I use a couple of different scripts that requires logins. Geeklog has become a favourite lately. The only thing I don't like is that I found it too late. When I was researching CMSs, GL looked and sounded too much like....well, like a wordpress kinda thing. When tested, it is clear that it is a pretty solid CMS.

Anyway...

Here's my thing that I hope that perhaps you can add for G2:

I have two domain names for one server. It is stupid, but became that way for historical reasons.

It never caused any problems when I was using only simplemachines or squirrelmail. When I log into GL however, the script sets the cookiedomain to, well, whatever is in config.php, and only one value can be set there.

So if someone comes to the site through the other domain name, the one that is not set in config.php, they don't seem to be logged in even if they are.

Now, somehow they have solved this in SMF (url_parts() in loginout.php) and squirrelmail, but I don't understand how it works...but it is clear that it can be fixed.

Anyway, that's my part for the wishlist.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Benta: When I log into GL however, the script sets the cookiedomain to, well, whatever is in config.php, and only one value can be set there.

Actually, if you don't set the cookiedomain variable, Geeklog will set a cookie for the domain name you used. But it will then redirect you to users.php using the site_url setting, which may be the other domain name ...

Two domain names for one site is causing lots of other problems anyway and is best avoided. For example, you're dividing your pagerank in Google between the two.

Solution: Set up a .htaccess for a "canonical URL", as explained in the Apache Rewriting Guide.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:12 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content