Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 02:24 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Amazon Plugin v1.1.0

asmaloney

Forum User

New in version 1.1.0:
* allow searching on these categories: All, Books, DVDs, Music, and Software
* admin can set the default category to search on [the user may select a different one on the search results page]
* added paging of results
* changed the whole mechanism of installation and upgrading [now more like GL itself]

You can try it at my site, read the README, view a snapshot of the admin page, and get it here.

I would appreciate any and all feedback.

- Andy

asmaloney

Forum User

Now available right here on Geeklog.net!

- Andy

Blaine

Forum User
Nice Job Andy on the plugin Chest-Slam Celebration

I see you even implemented the new plugin version and update API's and included a nice install/readme. I don't personally have a use yet but I wanted to acknowledge the nice work. It takes a lot more effort to package up the work then to develop it for just one site.

I don't always get a chance to look at the other plugins. It's great to see the available library growing Cool
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

asmaloney

Forum User

Hey Blaine. Thanks a lot for the kind words - I think it's the first feedback I've had on this plugin. I don't even know if anyone is using it Neutral

It sure does take a long time to package these things! I started to rework/update the visitor stats plugin a while ago. [Re]Packaging it is taking forever.

drshakagee

Forum User
I downloaded it for testing and I agree its really nice. Great job! I am sure you will hear more feedback later, as people discover it and its uses. I also really like the way you added your own associates id every 4th purchase (or whatever interval I set), that is much nicer then making it a "premium plugin". Now if I only had a practical use for it my life would be complete.
Yes I am mental.

rjrufo

Forum User
Regular Poster
I just downloaded this plugin to test it out. I have GL 1.3.11 set up as a plugin tester (not accessible by the internet), and when I do a search, all I get is text. My GL installation is completely stock, no hacks, old themes, or anything that would interfere with a new plugin that I am testing.

Is there something I am overlooking?

Is there a template file that I'm missing?

asmaloney

Forum User
Quote by rjrufo:
Is there something I am overlooking?
Is there a template file that I'm missing?

Here's how it works:

I set up a request to amazon to search on a keyword and provide it an XSLT file to tell amazon how I want my HTML formatted. I submit the request to the amazon server. It returns a chunk of HTML which I display. If the XSLT file is not accessible, the amazon servers just return the XML, which is why you get text.

So, to solve your problem, put the xsl file 'item-search.xsl' in an accessible location and then change the location on the admin page [under the 'Searching' header].

Hope this helps.

- Andy

rjrufo

Forum User
Regular Poster
Well, I guess it won't work the way I have it set up. The GL installation I use to test plugins is only accessible by the machine it's on. The URL to the .xsl file is http://localhost/geeklog/amz/xsl/item-search.xsl.

Thanks for your help.

asmaloney

Forum User

If you are just testing it, fire me an email and I'll give you a link to an accessible xsl file.

- Andy

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:24 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content