Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 03:23 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Skateboarding site's got two homes, holmes!

averageyoungman

Forum User
Chatty
Hello,

I just installed Geeklog in a secondary directory on my host's server and have been skinning it. Considering that it is in a secondary directory, and moves from the actual home page, I have adjusted the "Home" menu item link to go to my actual home page by changing the URL reference in the CONF_menuelements array in lib-common.php (case 'home'), as well as changing the text in english.php. However, this also changes the title text of the "Home" button in the Topics block. I.E. they both read the same, and in this case I want them to read differently because they are links to two separate pages. Menu item "Home" link should read "Mental Home" (and link to my actual home page) and the Topics block should just read "Home" (and link to Geeklog's index.php.)

There are two "Home" entries in the $LANG01 array in english.php, one on line 68 and one on line 90. I have changed the one on line 90 because the entry on line 68 doesn't appear to change anything. Does geeklog use the same array entry for both the Menu Item Home link and the Topics Block Home link? Is there a way to make the two independent of each other? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if any of the Geeklog developers are reading this, your product is amazing. You've done an impecable job!

Actual home page: www.skatemental.com
Geeklog home page: www.skatemental.com/blogmental

Thanks!,

averageyoungman
--aym

machinari

Forum User
why not just comment out the home link in config.php and then use the provided custom link function in lib-custom to insert your other home page link into the header?
look for $_CONF['menu_elements'] = array in your config.php not in your lib-common.php.
and look for function CUSTOM_menuEntries () in your lib-custom.php

easiest way Just my two cents

averageyoungman

Forum User
Chatty
Hi,

I tried that initially, and had some sort of problem, self designed or otherwise. I uncommented the custom menu elements function in lib-custom.php, did the same to the "custom" menu element in config (adding the comma), and just left the "gallery" label in for testing and nothing was added to the menu items bar. I assume I am missing a step someplace. Before I posted I searched the forums and saw a post about that problem specifically, mentioning a reference to line 209 ( i think it may have been your post) and the needed comma (for array splitting?) but couldn't get the right combination I suppose. Is there also some sort of doubling issue with that method?

Thanks for replying!

averageyoungman
--aym

machinari

Forum User
Quote by averageyoungman: I uncommented the custom menu elements function in lib-custom.php, did the same to the "custom" menu element in config (adding the comma)
the last item in the list, usually custom, does not need a comma after it--just before it...
Quote by averageyoungman: and just left the "gallery" label in for testing and nothing was added to the menu items bar
i did the same thing, just for testing and it worked fine. are you sure that the function was properly uncommented? and that you have {menu_elements} in your header.thtml--seems obvious I know, but hey, it could happen ;P

check that your array in the custom function looks like this
Text Formatted Code
    $myentries[] = array ('url'   => 'http://www.skatemental.com',
                          'label' => 'Mental Home');

hope some of that helps

averageyoungman

Forum User
Chatty
Sorry, when I said I added the comma I was referring to the line above custom in config. And I am 99% sure the code was uncommented properly, as well as the existence of the {menu_elemetns} var. I'll just try it again, and figure out the ordering issues as well. I usually like to dig through the code and get a better idea of how things are working, so that's why I did it via the hard coded values and functions at first. I suppose I could just add my own case if I have any more trouble.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!.

--averageyoungman
--aym

machinari

Forum User
Quote by averageyoungman: I suppose I could just add my own case if I have any more trouble.
or you could simply hard code the link into the header.thtml in the proper place

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:23 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content