Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 12:16 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Who's online by Country

gmon750

Forum User
happy
I am polishing up a new GL block which is a variation of the default Who's online block. It not only displays the users online, but also a flag of the country they are accessing the site from. It is all done in real-time.

For those folks who like to see where their visitors are from, it is a really cool little plugin. It will support and display all the flags in a very clean and formatted table with a summary of users by country.

I would really appreciate some feedback on the block. I am in the final stages of cleaning and polishing the code. If interest is high, I would like to post the plug in after completion.

You can see the who's online block in action by clicking here Rolling Eyes
Work because you want to...
Not because you have to.

i2eeD

Forum User
Junior
Great idea, and I'd definitely be interested if you released it officially. Great work!
Are you not entertained?

enigmah

Forum User
Chatty
excellent idea. CIA software, eh? What else do they have that we can use?

knuff

Forum User
Really Nice !!!

And lovely underwater pictures by the way Mr. Green

One nice addition, that could be even more cool is adding all these visiting countries to the database, so you could generate an additional link stating, countries that visited us and then have all the flags ...

Really Cool (and I downloaded firefox Mr. Green )

Best Regards,
Boris
Vanrillaer.com - our Family Portal

machinari

Forum User
nice work! its nice to see my flag online once in a while.

gmon750

Forum User
The CIA site provided all the flags of every country, which I resampled down to a block-friendly size and synched the country-names with the IP database.

The only main thing left to do is to provide alt="" info on the flags so that when you place your mouse pointer over it, a small text appears over the flag stating which country that particular flag belongs to. It's just eye-candy but I like eye-candy. Wink

I was considering instead to list one-line per country and include the full country name besides it but thought it would take up too much space and not look very nice. Perhaps I could make it a switch to change between formats?

Hmm.... I will ponder the idea... Shocked
Work because you want to...
Not because you have to.

enigmah

Forum User
Chatty
I am waiting patiently for this block

nicholas

Anonymous
Hi, was this modified who's online block ever released officially? Am keen to try it. Appreciate the effort

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:16 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content