Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 10:01 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Daily quote plug-in does not show database

enigmah

Forum User
Chatty
I've just installed daillyquote plugin 1.0.5, everything seems to work, all the pages are there.
When I added a new quote the database is updated, I can see it in phpmyadmin, but the pages (index.php, search.php, etc) do not show the new data.
Neither the php block nor the center block shows.
Any idea?

machinari

Forum User
check to see if the quote is in the moderation queue--perhaps you have set your perms such that the quote had to be moderated..
alternatively, use the database checking tool to see if all is well with the table data.

hope that helps

enigmah

Forum User
Chatty
I turned everything to "on", submission queue to "off", submitted a few quotes, and they are there in the database "dailyquotes", quote of the day block is activated.

Problems
There is no quote of day centerblock, no php block, what is new quotes shows "no new quote", Listing shows"0". I checked the database integrity and there is no inconsistency.

Seems the adding of quotes works, the path to showing the database?
I am using GL 1.3.11, my public_html file folder is renamed, but all the files are in the right folders..

Thanks for any suggestion.

machinari

Forum User

when you are using phpmyadmin, view the main quotes table where the quotes are actually stored and tell me what the status colomn value is for your few quotes. It should be set to 1.

I am quite stumped on this one to be honest. I can't think of what error there would be if you can store entries and not retrieve them. The function for retrieving entries returns all rows with a status of one. Adding quotes as admin makes that status 1 automatically. ...otherwise turning off the queue also sets status to 1 for any quotes in the queue.

Perhaps there is a category that is not enabled somehow--check that. Did you create a new category with your quotes or use an existing one or leave that blank? that info will help me to potentially reproduce this problem.

Or perhaps your admin settings are not being saved--check that. This was a common problem in at least one previous release.

enigmah

Forum User
Chatty
I have created 3 quotes and all their status are set at 1.
I also created a new category beside the miscellany category.
I noticed that in the dailyquote field, cat id is not part of the table, is it designed that way?
I've installed the plugin on another website and have the exact problem.
Thanks for your time.

machinari

Forum User

did you have any errors when you ran the install script? or any since that apply to the plugin? e.g., missing function errors or cannot connect errors, etc.?
--have you checked your error log?

and what exactly do you mean when you say that you've renamed your public_html directory?

what version of mysql are you running? ...are both those sites you mentioned on the same server?

do you have an web addy? if I see the output I may get a brainstorm.

enigmah

Forum User
Chatty
the installation was successful without any hitch, I can access the admin page and change the config setting.
one site uses mysql Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.16
the other uses 4.0.22-standard

The sites: www.powellriver.ca/cdpr/
www.roughlife.com

I have set queue to off so you can try adding new quotes.
Thanks

machinari

Forum User
Judging by what I saw on your 'add a quote' page, both of your categories, miscellany (for cdpr) and test (on both sites), are disabled. Any quotes belonging to disabled categories will not be displayed.

go to the category management page and enable them. that should do it.

btw, I love Powell River! I'm there a couple times every summer to visit; enjoy the ferry rides; a little paintball with the kids; swimmin under the bridge; etc.
It is worth the 6 hours (150km Rolling Eyes ) it takes for me to get there. Big Celebration

enigmah

Forum User
Chatty
It is that simple, thanks!!
Give me a call next time you are in Powell River, I'll show you around.

machinari

Forum User
Also, if you are logged in as admin, and you search for quotes from the manage quotes page, even quotes belonging to disabled categories will be displayed--but only for admin and only on the manage/edit quote page

...so, if it turns out that you cats are enabled, try that to see if you get quotes displayed.

and to answer your earlier question, the category id's are not kept in the same table with the quotes. They are in a lookup table in order to accomodate multiple categories.

hope that helps

machinari

Forum User
oh, I spoke to soon...
good to hear it's workin, and I will do.

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:01 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content