Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 07:26 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

uses of auto archive

athenian47

Forum User
Junior
Can someone explain what the "auto archive" function is used for? The only change I see is that a different story template is used, and I can't find any documentation.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Some people prefer to move older stories to an "archive". You can actually see that on quite a lot of (non-Geeklog) sites.

I never understood that idea myself - it doesn't hurt havening the old stories around, IMO, since they drop off the index page automatically anyway. But in case you prefer that archive approach, you can have that now. And if you don't, simply ignore it ...

Auto-deleting stories, on the other hand, is useful, e.g. for "I'll be away"-type of posts or other posts that you won't need any more once their due date is up.

bye, Dirk

athenian47

Forum User
Junior
Thanks for explaining. Yeah, I can't think of a use for it either. The same functionality is there with the automatic pagination, which is a really great feature.

Merlisk

Forum User
curious
On a similar note, is there a script for auto-deleting older stories by topic and date?

I've >700 stories on my blog and I'd like to mass-delete all stories in certain topics greater than a year old.

Any ideas?
Merlisk

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:26 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content