Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 03:16 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Changing Directory of Geeklog

Meta

Anonymous
curious
I currently have geeklog installed to the main public_html directory of my site... www.clanmyr.com. i want to move this up one directory, so it will be the default.php for www.clanmyr.com/halo2. Is there an easy way to do this?

vadertech

Forum User
move everything up a level and change your paths in config.php. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear but I always install upgrades one level up and move them down.
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

Meta

Anonymous
Ok... so move everything within the public_html folder into the new directory. then what are the names of all the files I would need to alter the config path too?

Meta

Anonymous
tired
Alright, I'm starting to figure out exactly what I want to do with my site... I just don't know how to do it. This site is for a gaming clan that I'm running, and we're currently moving to be a clan for 2 different games. I currently have my geeklog running on the main index for my site. What I plan to do is move that up one level, into it's own directory for that game, then a seperate directory for the other game. Then the main index will just be an intro where you choose between either site. I want both game directorites to be running seperate geeklogs, with their own styles, news, etc... Also, it would be really nice if i could somehow get both sections to share users... but i'm assuming that wouldn't be possible : Please post any suggestions to help me pull this off... i'm not quite sure how i'm gonna go about installing 2 geeklogs on 1 site

knuff

Forum User
Hi Meta,

With a little bit of creativity you can easily pull this off with one single geeklog installation, which saves you time in administration and gives more time to play the actual game(s)

One geeklog installation in the root directory
You create a welcome block that is displayed when is called.
This is explained in the help.

Then you install the chameleon hack to have two different themes for each clan site.

You disable the standard sections block as this only allows all or nothing (would be a nice feature if blocks would have a tickbox option).

You implement the custom menu block and have a seperate section block per clan.

You share the core forum, user base and maybe a shared global news directory as an overall feeling.

It is definitly possible to do it with one GL installation with one userbase, so not the option of installing two seperate table sets (also explained in the faq how to do that).

I am currently trying to consolidate about 5 different sites/projects in one GL and it is possible.

So just sit back and look where you really want a segregation and for the rest go for one single approach. It will safe you on the long run.

Best Regards,
Boris
Vanrillaer.com - our Family Portal

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
If space is not an issue, then it's probably much easier to just have two complete but separate Geeklog installs ...

Upload the public_html twice and rename them to game1 and game2 (or whatever). Do the same for the directories with the files that go outside of the webroot. Change the paths in the two lib-common.php to point to the proper config.php. In the 2 config.php, set the $_CONF['path_html'] accordingly (read the comments there!).

If you only have one database, select different prefixes ($_DB_table_prefix) so that the tables don't mix. Also rename the cookies ('gl_session', etc.).

That should be it. You now have two separate Geeklog installs in example.com/game1 and example.com/game2.

bye, Dirk

Meta

Anonymous
Dirk, with your method, would it be possible to have both installations share the same users? (so users would only have to register once to use either site)

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Meta: Dirk, with your method, would it be possible to have both installations share the same users? (so users would only have to register once to use either site)

Not with the above, but I've outlined how this could be done here (my second post). I haven't heard from anyone actually doing it that way, though ...

bye, Dirk

Meta

Anonymous
angry
Alright, I've begun moving my original installation of geeklog up into it's own directory (I'll be adding the other one to use the same memberlist and whatnot after i get this working) but I'm already having problems...

I moved everything up one level, and began editing the paths in config.php and lib-common.php. After I edited my config.php the site looked right at the new path, but none of the site functions could be clicked on (memberlist, stories, etc...) without getting an error. Then, I opened lib-common.php and edited what paths i thought should be necessary for that. I only edited 3 lines, and now I get this error when trying to view my site:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING in /home/clanmyrc/public_html/halo/lib-common.php on line 4691

I loaded my backup of this, prior to editing it, but I still get the same error :.

In case it matters, line 4691 in this file is:

else if( $A['type'] ']== ']=='poll' )

I never touched this line... i'm kind of baffled why i'm suddenly getting an error over it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Use another text editor. Whatever you're using now (don't tell me it's Dreamweaver ...) is messing up the code.

See http://www.geeklog.net/docs/install.html#corrupted

bye, Dirk

Meta

Anonymous
Haha, totally forgot i couldn't use dreamweaver for editing that file (I remember now from when i originally installed it 6+ months ago. That must have been the problem, thanks!

1PLM

Forum User
Chatty
I am trying something similar.
I want to move my Geeklog from the site's main page and create and intro page with another CMS. I however want to use 1 user login to access both sites ( to prevent users from having to login on the welcome page with the other CMS and then also login to the Geeklog site already running). Thanks.

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:16 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content