Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 05:37 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Topic Sort Number

ronack

Forum User
I have a lot of topics and decided I wanted to give them bigger sort numbers leaving room between the numbers for other things and some topics I always wanted on the bottom. Like General or Site News. So I tried to give them a sort number of 999 or 800 but it always revierted back to 127. Normally this isn't a problem for small sites but if you eve want a number over 127 then your screwed, or are you?

I don't know if you want to change this or just leave it as a hack. I went into mysql and changed the Topic Sort Number from a data type of TinyINT to SmallINT. TinyINT limits you to 127 where SmallINT is much much larger. Something like 62767.

Now I can sort my topics by 10's or 100's if I want to leave room topics in between. And I can set General to 999 so that it's always on the bottom. Doesn't seem to hurt the performance any either.

machinari

Forum User

this really seems unnecessary. if you want topics in the middle, just use a middle number and the rest of your topics will accomodate that. If you use a number already in use, not to worry, the other topics will still accommodate that.

Or are you suggesting that you may actually put more than 127 topics on your page?

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:37 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content