Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 03:13 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

No forum menu for users

Steve M

Forum User
Hi, installed the latest ver. of forum. Everything works ok for admin but for users there is no menu item called forum. For users it shows the forums posts block and they can access the forums via this link but no menu shows in the page header. Any ideas?

Steve

Blaine

Forum User
It's probally your theme. Try the default professional theme.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

Steve M

Forum User
I only have the default professional theme installed. I have been over the install instructions with a fine tooth comb but I must be missing something. Would uninstalling the forum plugin and reinstall help? or is there something missing in my theme files?

Steve

mammas

Anonymous
We had the same problem... the fix we ended up doing was simply making the forum public to anonymous guests as well (previously it was set to just logged in members). People who weren't logged in could read the posts, but still had to register and log-in if they wanted to reply or post their own topics. It was a tough decision to make it public or keep it private, but it all worked out. Good luck.

Steve M

Forum User
That's sad. My forum was to be for private only. ie. logged in users. The only workaround I can see for me is to make everyone forum admins. But that will be a nightmare letting them create their own topics etc. Maybe Blaine will do a mod for me so only logged in users can access the forum.

Steve

Blaine

Forum User
I don't understand the issue. There allready is a setting in the forum->admin to set the access required to view and post to the forum.

Steve M

Forum User
Blaine, the problem is that the only way I can get users to have a visible forum menu and forum preferences is, if I add the user to the forum admin group. Otherwise the only way for them to get to the forums page is to go via the forumposts topic. Hope this is understandable.

Steve

Blaine

Forum User
Are you referring to the "Forum Features' link that appears in the user block or the "Forum" Link that would appear in the site header ?

Either one will check if the user has forum.user rights if forum->admin setting has been set requiring registration to view the forum.

So if you have set the forum to require registration to view - then only users in a group with forum.user right will get the link in the user block and in the site header.

If you want the group "Logged-In Users" to have the forum.user right automatically and don't want to create another group to manange the users access - then add the "forum.user" permission to the Core Group "Logged-In" users. You can use the "Group Access Tool" that I developed to do this.

Steve M

Forum User
Blaine, I have set the group acces value on each forum to "all users"
Is this what you mean?
Steve

Blaine

Forum User
no - I am referring to admin->group admin.

Steve M

Forum User
Blaine, in the group, "forum admin" I have logged in users set with the rights forum.user and forum.edit but it doesn't display the forum menu after login. Maybe I'm missing something simple. Maybe you could login as admin on my site and take a look, I am prepared to pay you for such a service? If you agree we should probably negotiate something off post.
Steve

Blaine

Forum User
If required Steve, I'm more then willing to assist on your site - but maybe a bit more explaination is all that is required.

I don't think you want to add users to the "forum admin" group since that woud give then extra admin rights. As you noted, the "forum admin" group has the "forum.user" right. Whats needed now is a group that normal site users are a member of also have this right. That is why I suggested the "Logged-In Users" group since all members are a member of that - once they log in. Anonymous members are not.

Steve M

Forum User
Hi, I created a new group and gave the logged-in users forum.user rights and everything seems fine. Thanks for the help.
Steve

Steve M

Forum User
Blaine, almost got it. The only problem now is that there is no Forum menu displayed for admin or users. That's the one with
Forum Index
Popular Topics
My subscriptions
etc.

Any ideas why it doesn't show?
Steve

Blaine

Forum User
Sure - thats a new feature that is not in version 2.3.2.

Have a read of this post here

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:13 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content