Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 07:59 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Help, Speed Issue. Guest loads in 5.57sec and Admin loads in 1.17 secs

Tom

Anonymous
I have a strange problem that has been happening for a while.

A non logged in person takes a long time to load a the home page (andis just over 5 seconds while a logged in person takes just over 1 sec. THis is the same for all other pages even the site index page that just displays a list of pages, no blocks or anything. I got the site index page from this site.

Any help whold be appreciated.

Tom

Tom

Anonymous
I forgot to mention. I am using ver. 1.3.11 (though it was happening in lower versions as well) of geeklog and my PHP version I believe is 4.3.

Thanks

Tom

Tom

Anonymous
If anyone needs anymore info please ask, since I am stumped on this problem.

Is there some some setting in geeklogs config file that affects guests only that could cause this but maybe?

Could it be a PHP setup or php.ini issue?

Is there a table in MYSQL that I didn't optimize that would affect guests only??

Thanks

Tom

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The site should actually load faster for anonymous users than for registered ones (or Admins).

A URL would help ...

bye, Dirk

vinny

Site Admin
Admin
What plugins do you have installed?
What extra blocks do you have installed?
Have you modified/hacked any core Geeklog files?
How many registered users on your site?
What type of hardware are you running on?
Are you using a dedicated or shared (hosing) machine?
Do you have mysql query caching enabled?

There is a lot to performance tuning any system. The list above is just a start of things to look at. (Or questions that need to be answered for us to provide any help).

-Vinny

Tom

Anonymous
Thanks for the replies, I agree Dirk but it is not.

I did some test from a few pc's on the internet and found out that the problem did not exist on the internet. It only happens when I acceess my server from my workstation on my internal network. Weird but, not the end of the world. I will have to check my router out.

mthomas

Forum User
Sounds like you dns is not set correctly for internal users?
1. More than likely your primary dns (first entry) does not have the address needed, first is tries to resolve from a root server or forwarder if set, that times out and it looks at the next dns server in your list which will also check root servers if the entry is not available. This is a common issue.
2. Its also possible you are resolving outside your firewall for dns, in that case no internal dns servers may have entries and you may be connecting to you external address, however this ususally can only occur if your webserver is outside your firewall or you are using multiple firewalls (as most firewalls don't support loop back)
3. DNS can also just be slow from the number of hits it serving.
4. Router (gateway) configuration can cuase this.
5. Local network load
6. A number of other issues which I can list if none of these help.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:59 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content