Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 07:39 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Restricting user preferences

RickW

Forum User
From this thread:

Limit front page stories - remove bottom page links (done!)

Dirk wrote:

Quote by Dirk:
Quote by RickW: Did this feature make it into 1.3.10?

From the Changelog:
- It is now again possible to have a different number of stories per page
for individual topics. Users have to set their preferred number of stories
per page to 0 (zero) in their preferences, though, as the user preferences
will always override this setting (bug #190)

bye, Dirk

Has this been worked on any further for the newest 1.3.11 release?

How do I set the defaults for the user preferences, or does a new member get the defaults of the site?

Is there a way I can take out the option for users to customize the site?
www.antisource.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by RickW: How do I set the defaults for the user preferences, or does a new member get the defaults of the site?

For new members, it defaults to 0 (NULL, actually). Use this to set it to 0 for all users, just in case:
Text Formatted Code
UPDATE gl_userindex SET maxstories = 0;

Quote by RickW: Is there a way I can take out the option for users to customize the site?

In the preferences/displayblock.thtml template file, remove the row for the maxstories setting and replace if with a hidden field that defaults to zero:
Text Formatted Code
<input type="hidden" name="maxstories" value="0">

bye, Dirk

RickW

Forum User
Quote by Dirk:
Quote by RickW: How do I set the defaults for the user preferences, or does a new member get the defaults of the site?

For new members, it defaults to 0 (NULL, actually). Use this to set it to 0 for all users, just in case:
Text Formatted Code
UPDATE gl_userindex SET maxstories = 0;

Quote by RickW: Is there a way I can take out the option for users to customize the site?

In the preferences/displayblock.thtml template file, remove the row for the maxstories setting and replace if with a hidden field that defaults to zero:
Text Formatted Code
<input type="hidden" name="maxstories" value="0">

bye, Dirk

Thanks Dirk, that's easy enough. Smile Sometimes it's just easier to ask then look through all the code...

I'm still on 1.3.9, I was waiting to see what changed from 1.3.10 to 1.3.11 before I upgraded... probably a good move, looks like it was mostly bug fixes. 1.3.11 has just about all of the features I have been waiting for, so is now a good time to upgrade? What is in the works for the next version?
www.antisource.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by RickW: so is now a good time to upgrade?

Yes, definitely. 1.3.11 is now what 1.3.10 should have been in the first place. The next release is a bit further away.

Quote by RickW: What is in the works for the next version?

We haven't really decided yet.

The PDF feature that didn't make it into 1.3.10/1.3.11 is a likely candidate. And I have one or two half-finished things I'd like to add.

And then, of course, there are our embarrassing long lists of feature requests (here and here) that we have to attack some day ...

bye, Dirk

RickW

Forum User
Quote by Dirk:
Quote by RickW: so is now a good time to upgrade?

Yes, definitely. 1.3.11 is now what 1.3.10 should have been in the first place. The next release is a bit further away.

Quote by RickW: What is in the works for the next version?

We haven't really decided yet.

The PDF feature that didn't make it into 1.3.10/1.3.11 is a likely candidate. And I have one or two half-finished things I'd like to add.

And then, of course, there are our embarrassing long lists of feature requests (here and here) that we have to attack some day ...

bye, Dirk

Great. I guess I better start upgrading... it's going to take me awhile since I've been tweaking the core code so much. I should be able to install this to a temp location, customize it, then back it up and restore it to my main site, correct? All I need to do is change one path in the config?

PDF would be cool, I definitely won't wait for it - you could always just make that a plugin. Wink I looked at your feature request list, and saw the one for limiting RSS feeds per block. As of 1.3.10, I can now at least limit all of the RSS feeds globally, correct?

After this upgrade I'll probably wait until GL2 is finished (I know it will be a long time!). The feature I'm excitedly waiting for is actually for the forum - Blaine has been contemplating adding a feature where you could "comment" on an article using a forum thread. praying it will work
www.antisource.com

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:39 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content