Welcome to Geeklog Monday, October 14 2019 @ 04:43 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Comments missing from stories with URI rewrites


Status: offline

santos_douglas

Forum User
Newbie
Registered: 09/12/03
Posts: 6
Location:East Lansing, MI
hopeful
Just finished upgrading from 1.3.8 to 1.3.10 and it went better than I had thought. One noticable problem remains:

I have enabled URI rewrites, however comments on stories that have had the ID/URI rewritten and include a hyphen do not appear on the story page or any other visible place on the Geeklog pages such as the #comments header or the new comments box. Comments on stories with autogenerated numeric IDs and rewritten IDs that contain only letters appear normally. I found that according to the FAQ however characters such as - and _ and . should all be valid, which is why I'm confused. I verified that the comments were in fact all appearing in the database using PhpMyAdmin, and the email confirmation is being sent normally - they just aren't appearing on the web.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Update

I think I just figured the problem out after looking at it more carefully. There is a discrepancy between the story ID lenght variable in the GL_article table (40) and the GL_comment table (20). So the longer IDs are getting truncated when comments are submitted, making them disappear on the page.

Should this be a bug report? Is there any problem with increasing the char limit in the comments table to 40? Instructions for doing so?

Well, went into PhpMyAdmin and changed the character limit in the GL_comment table of the SID from 20 to 40 and it seems to work fine now. I'm surprised that no one else has complained about this problem before, perhaps this was a change that was supposed to get made in the database during the upgrad process but didn't, I did have some errors.

Status: offline

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Registered: 12/01/02
Posts: 13073
Location:Stuttgart, Germany
(going through some old posts)

Quote by santos_douglas: Update

I think I just figured the problem out after looking at it more carefully. There is a discrepancy between the story ID lenght variable in the GL_article table (40) and the GL_comment table (20). So the longer IDs are getting truncated when comments are submitted, making them disappear on the page.

Ouch!

You're right, that's a bug. The 'sid' field in the gl_comments table should also have 40 characters.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:43 am.

  • Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content