Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 11:30 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Installation Path is Screwy..

Allison

Anonymous
confused
In order to understand my problem, please read what I want to do, how I configured it and what I am confused by. I added all this info so that you can see where I possibly went wrong. My questions and concerns are "quoted".

I tried looking throughout the forums but didn't see this.

What I was attempting to do: I want (and attempted) to configure the site so that the geeklog is at http://clayaikenonline.com/geek/. When you click on that link you (Do) get the geeklog.

How I configured it:
From the Config.php file
// This should point to the directory where your config.php file resides.
$_CONF['path'] = '/home/clayaike/public_html/geek/'; // should end in a slash

// You only need to change this if you moved or renamed the public_html
// directory. In that case, you should specify the complete path to the
// directory (i.e. without the $_CONF['path']) like this:
// $_CONF['path_html'] = '/home/clayaike/public_html/geek/';
$_CONF['path_html'] = $_CONF['path'] . 'geek/';

I am thinking this is where I went wrong. What do you actually mean by renaming the public_html directory? Do you mean having the geeklog within the public_html file but within another file? (as I have it) or physically having renamed the public_html file?

Also, the $_CONF['path_html'] = $_CONF['path] . 'geek/'; - What IS this function and is this even right? I am not quite sure how this was supposed to be changed?

// Make sure this is the correct URL to your site, i.e. to where Geeklog's
// index.php file resides (no trailing slash).
$_CONF['site_url'] = 'http://clayaikenonline.com/geek';

The lib-common.php file
require_once( '/home/clayaike/public_html/geek/config.php' );

What is happening
When I have to install something such a plugin or a theme, it requires that I install it twice. It wants me to install it once within the /geek/ file - and then another time within a /geek/geek/ path - which I have no idea how this was set. So in essence, I am having to install plugins AND themes TWICE on my server, in different paths.

How can I make this a more clean install.. and have it so I only have to upload themes/plugins within ONE folder/path and not have to do it twice? what mistakes have I made through installing this? I am usually pretty good at installing php files and databases - but this one truly has me stumped. It's a great program in all and I can't wait to use it - just having difficulty getting it up. I've been working on this for litereally hours upon hours.. only to uninstall it and try it again. If anyone could help me, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Allison
http://clayaikenonline.com
ajdelell@eagle.fgcu.edu

tokyoahead

Anonymous
What you have to understand is that geeklog consists of two parts:
A frontend and a backend.
When you unzip the package, you have the backend there, with the config.php in the root. Kick all this to a place that is outside the reach of the users, such as

/home/clayaike/geeklog
so that you can get to config.php with the path
/home/clayaike/geeklog/config.php

Then take the contents of the public_html folder with the lib_common.php in it (This is the backend), and move it to

/home/clayaike/public_html/geek/
so that you can reach the lib_common.php by the path
/home/clayaike/public_html/geek/lib_common.php

now in the config.php, the $_CONF['path'] will be ="/home/clayaike/geeklog/"

and the $_CONF['path_html'] will be ="/home/clayaike/public_html/geek/"

in the lib-common, you have to set the path to

/home/clayaike/geeklog/config.php

You better use a blank install for this. You might have screwed up the plugins with the setup you did before. And in case of path confusion, its better to start with a scratch-config.php anyhow.

ah... and before I forget: reading the manual _might_ help Read the FAQ
in this case: here

Allison

Anonymous
Okay - I am going to try and reinstall it to fit that. Thank you for your help.. hope it works. Smile

I appreciate your fast response! I'll let you know how it goes.

TVDSB

Anonymous
blank
Do you mean that anything outside of the public_html directory on the tarball should not reside insider the public_html directory on my webserver?

I installed it all in the public_html directory on the webserver, and it seems to work, there are, however a few little things that don't seem to work right........

tokyoahead

Anonymous
Did you read that manual I pointed out in my last post?

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:30 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content