Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 11:14 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Mozilla Problems

trevorlee_nc

Forum User
Ok, I've built a theme for a website I am working on, using various odd peices of other themes, but is mostly based on the squeaky-clean theme (I think).

Anyway, long story short, the pages are all validatable through w3c validation service, as well as the html validator extension for mozilla. Yet, things are displayed awfully wrong. For instance, I load the page using just mannerfam_beta/ and it loads fine, but if I put in mannerfam_beta/index.php the left blocks drop down about halfway down the page. I've put some screenshots up so you can see how it looks here, and I've used two different computers using mozilla to see what's going on, both show the same issues. Both are mozilla 5.0, one on winXP the other on WinME.

The site is located Here

And the screenshots are Here

IF someone wouldn't mind taking a look and maybe point me in the right direction, I'd surely appreciate it Very Happy

-Trevor

beewee

Forum User
In Firefox I see the same problems. Valid HTML does not mean that the site always looks the way you want it because a validator doesn't look how the CSS affects the HTML and also only looks at missing/incomplete/false tags etc.

Try a few tricks with your CSS:

- don't use underscores in the classnames but use normal dashes instead (underscores are 'not done' in CSS)

- try removing the display: block

- I believe the class 'Eyeback' is missing in your CSS

There's something funny with the HTML for the menu bar as well, this table is 780 px wide and in the table I find this:
Text Formatted Code
<td width="1082" height="34">

Good luck!

Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

trevorlee_nc

Anonymous
happy
Thanks very much. removing the "display" from css fix many of the problems, and then from that point finding the rest of the small mistakes was a breeze. The 1082 was just something I had to throw in at one time when I was doing the original layout, and because "it worked" I guess I never bothered to go back and look at it.

Again, many gracious thank yous from my house to yours!

Geeklog is a great system!

-Trevor

beewee

Forum User
You're welcome, glad I could help. I'm stumbling with a new theme myself at the moment, so I know how you feel...

Regards from the Netherlands!
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

Ivo Sir

Anonymous
Hello Trevor,

the problem could be caused by an old Mozilla. I'm currently using version 1.7.3 and the pages look very well! :-)

Bye.
Ivo

Quote by trevorlee_nc: Ok, I've built a theme for a website I am working on, using various odd peices of other themes, but is mostly based on the squeaky-clean theme (I think).

Anyway, long story short, the pages are all validatable through w3c validation service, as well as the html validator extension for mozilla. Yet, things are displayed awfully wrong. For instance, I load the page using just mannerfam_beta/ and it loads fine, but if I put in mannerfam_beta/index.php the left blocks drop down about halfway down the page. I've put some screenshots up so you can see how it looks here, and I've used two different computers using mozilla to see what's going on, both show the same issues. Both are mozilla 5.0, one on winXP the other on WinME.

The site is located Here

And the screenshots are Here

IF someone wouldn't mind taking a look and maybe point me in the right direction, I'd surely appreciate it Very Happy

-Trevor

Ivo Sir

Anonymous
Ugh, I'm sorry, I also forgot to read the other postings first.... :-)
Ivo

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:14 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content