Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 12:09 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

links Submissions - Strange

PSHIFT

Anonymous
Hi, Hope you can help.
When a non-logged in user submits a link it gets saved into the submissions area for approval. The problem is, if my links administrator logs in (he has link admin rights plus a few others) and approves the link, he then at a later date can't edit that link (permissions problem). It defaults to the group root, which he is not a member.
But if before submitting the link he clicks edit, the default group is links admin, which is what I need if he just selects approve.
I am using Geeklog 1.3.10rc2

Is it a problem with just my site or was this by design, if so which files do I need to edit.

Ps Sure I could have written the sentence above slightly better, sorry.

PSHIFT

Anonymous
Ok found out that the user is also passed to the database with different default settings depending if you click edit or click the approve selection when in submissions.
The approve selection sets the default Owner Anonymous and funnily enough its the anonymous owner links that my link admin can't access.

which file would call this info, had a look at public_html/submit.php but I don't think this is the right file.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by PSHIFT: which file would call this info, had a look at public_html/submit.php but I don't think this is the right file.

The matter is somewhat more complicated than it looks at first ...

The 'linksubmission' table doesn't have the fields for the permissions. So when a moderator approves a link, the information for the link is copied over into the 'links' table and since the permissions are not included, they fall back to the default values defined for the 'links' table. Those, unfortunately, are owner = Anonymous, group = Root - which doesn't make a lot of sense ...

As a short-term solution, try changing the default group for the 'links' table to the id of your "All Users" group (usually 2, but better double-check first).

There's a feature request to make all the default permissions configurable, but it hasn't been implemented yet and certainly needs to be thought through properly first ...

bye, Dirk

PSHIFT

Anonymous
Thanks Dirk
I think this is also why calendar entries sometimes can't be removed.
Another fix would be to hide the approve/delete selections and have my link admin approve the link via the edit link.

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:09 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content