RickW

Forum User
I've been hijacked by a 302 redirect, it's a growing problem amongst webmasters. Basically another site steals your PR by tricking googlebot into think they're the new permanent page.

I need to change the ID of the hijacked page so it can be recrawled and put back into google's results. Is there just one table in the database where I can change this?
www.antisource.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Not sure I understand your problem, but the story IDs can be changed in the Admin's story editor (as of Geeklog 1.3.10). Or simply change them in the gl_stories table using phpMyAdmin.

bye, Dirk

RickW

Forum User
Thank you - I had to use phpmyadmin, I'm not on .10 yet.

Do a search for "block 302 redirect" and click the first result, that's basically what is going on...
www.antisource.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I still don't quite understand it but it seems to be related to a problem that has been discussed on the mailing lists back in September (starts with "portal.php and Google" here).

In the end, changing portal.php to send a 301 instead of a 302 fixed the problem (even for the links that Google had already indexed).

Geeklog 1.3.10 ships with a portal.php that sends a 301 redirect.

bye, Dirk

RickW

Forum User
Quote by Dirk: I still don't quite understand it but it seems to be related to a problem that has been discussed on the mailing lists back in September (starts with "portal.php and Google" here).

Yes, the problem is similar to what you discovered. Only now a lot of "search sites" are using this "bug" in google to steal sites' PR. The webmaster community is waiting for Google to fix this inherent flaw.
www.antisource.com