Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 16 2024 @ 03:26 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Change story/article ID?

RickW

Forum User
I've been hijacked by a 302 redirect, it's a growing problem amongst webmasters. Basically another site steals your PR by tricking googlebot into think they're the new permanent page.

I need to change the ID of the hijacked page so it can be recrawled and put back into google's results. Is there just one table in the database where I can change this?
www.antisource.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Not sure I understand your problem, but the story IDs can be changed in the Admin's story editor (as of Geeklog 1.3.10). Or simply change them in the gl_stories table using phpMyAdmin.

bye, Dirk

RickW

Forum User
Thank you - I had to use phpmyadmin, I'm not on .10 yet.

Do a search for "block 302 redirect" and click the first result, that's basically what is going on...
www.antisource.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I still don't quite understand it but it seems to be related to a problem that has been discussed on the mailing lists back in September (starts with "portal.php and Google" here).

In the end, changing portal.php to send a 301 instead of a 302 fixed the problem (even for the links that Google had already indexed).

Geeklog 1.3.10 ships with a portal.php that sends a 301 redirect.

bye, Dirk

RickW

Forum User
Quote by Dirk: I still don't quite understand it but it seems to be related to a problem that has been discussed on the mailing lists back in September (starts with "portal.php and Google" here).

Yes, the problem is similar to what you discovered. Only now a lot of "search sites" are using this "bug" in google to steal sites' PR. The webmaster community is waiting for Google to fix this inherent flaw.
www.antisource.com

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:26 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content