Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 11:41 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Forum Links - friendly (static) URLs

RickW

Forum User
The main Geeklog is benefitting from a lot of improvements in the static links - for example, the newest release being worked on will allow custom links.

I would like to implement something like this for the forums plugin. Has anyone else done this? Just implementing the static links is a good start (minus custom urls). Will make the forum threads more search engine friendly.
www.antisource.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
FWIW, Google already indexes the forums just fine. And if you upgrade to v2.3.2, forum URLs now come without the "forum=" parameter. I.e. the link to this thread would be

http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=42017

which isn't such a bad URL.

bye, Dirk

RickW

Forum User
Quote by Dirk: FWIW, Google already indexes the forums just fine. And if you upgrade to v2.3.2, forum URLs now come without the "forum=" parameter. I.e. the link to this thread would be

http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=42017

which isn't such a bad URL.

bye, Dirk

I know that it's fine for Google - but not for many other search engines that ignore dynamic links, plus I can't track it via my site stats. All I get is viewtopic.php has been visited X amount of times.

I upgraded to 2.3.2, and did read that to be a new change. But it doesn't seem to be working that way for me.

www.antisource.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by RickW: I upgraded to 2.3.2, and did read that to be a new change. But it doesn't seem to be working that way for me.

I have the forum 2.3.2 installed over on geeklog.info. It seems to be working from the centerblock (and from the notification emails), but in the forum itself it still uses the old URLs. Looks like it could easily be fixed in the templates, though ...

bye, Dirk

RickW

Forum User
Quote by Dirk:
Quote by RickW: I upgraded to 2.3.2, and did read that to be a new change. But it doesn't seem to be working that way for me.

I have the forum 2.3.2 installed over on geeklog.info. It seems to be working from the centerblock (and from the notification emails), but in the forum itself it still uses the old URLs. Looks like it could easily be fixed in the templates, though ...

bye, Dirk

Yep same here, my forumposts block gives the right link (but I wish I could get rid of that additional fromblock variable). The stats page still uses the old links though. Oh well, maybe 2.3.3 will address that.
www.antisource.com

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:41 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content