Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 05:29 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

How can I give "Logged-in-users" permissions to edit their own stories.

soulpoetry

Forum User
Hello,

How can I give "Logged-in-users" permissions to edit their own stories. In this case poems...the members are complaining about their mispellings and that they can't edit their poems. Please help me!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by soulpoetry: How can I give "Logged-in-users" permissions to edit their own stories.

You can't, at least not in the way you want it.

To edit stories, a user needs the 'story.edit' permission. This, however, has a few side effects like giving them access to the Admin's story editor where they could also, for example, upload images.

With a careful selection of topic and story permissions and a new group it would be possible to prevent them from editing other people's posts, but that would require them to set their story permissions properly when they submit a story.

You may want to look for other solutions ...

There is, I think, a version of the static pages plugin that allows users to create pages (search for "upage"). Maybe that would be an alternative (never tried it myself, though). Or some variation of the Journal plugin.

bye, Dirk

soulpoetry

Forum User
Hello Dirk,

I tried what you said about the story.edit and story.submit permissions. I created a group called "Poets" and gave them those permissions. I also edited the admin story submit section disallowing the image upload feature. There is one problem...I get on with the new group...I go to Story admin section...then I try to submit a poem, I give Owner Read and Edit permissions, then I submit it. It submits okay but when I go back to edit it I get a message that says "You are trying to access a poem that you don't have rights to. This attempt has been logged. You may view the article in read-only below. Please go back to the story administration screen when you are done."

Please help,
Peter A. Rosado

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
That's a problem with the topic permissions, see Setting up a Story Admin.

bye, Dirk

beewee

Forum User
It's possible, see this topic!
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:29 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content