Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 03:57 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Can someone step me through this?

ep

Forum User
Junior
I'm trying to create a block that will show some static links.

I have tried making a "normal" block - but every url shows up as text rather than as an actual url...

Also... have put up the My Image Gallery thing and got it working with Geeklog (love it by the way) - but can't seem to figure out how to make a block that shows a picture from the gallery in it...

If anyone can assist that would be great - I'm not understanding the parameters of making a block or if there's anything else (any other file modifications?) that need to be made.

And finally.....

I'm looking to hire someone to make up a theme for me for my site with some predefined colors. I am a complete web neophyte so I get lost in the coding.

machinari

Forum User
I'm going to make this basic, because you mentioned that you get lost in the code.

without knowing what you entered as a URL, I will just suggest that you are incorrectly entering it. here is what the url should look like:
Text Formatted Code
<a href="http://somesite.ca">somesite.ca</a>

that will work

ep

Forum User
Junior
Ok that part I knew how to do.

I did use the correct html code to make a link and it showed up as straight text.

Was there some configuration setting within the block creation area that I was supposed to check?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
HTML should work just fine in "normal" blocks.

There is no special setting (like in stories) for an HTML or text mode, it works more like the forum posts here. If you want to make sure it treats the contents as HTML, start the block with an HTML tag, i.e. the very first character in the block should be the opening pointy bracket for the first tag (and, yes, that's a bit of a hack ...).

bye, Dirk

jonc

Forum User
Chatty
As for the other question, you can download Random Photo block which shows a random picture in the block from the gallery (creates a cache file every 24 hours of all the photos that can be viewed by EVERYBODY).

The block is available HERE.

you can see it in action HERE.

ep

Forum User
Junior
Thanks Dirk, will try that when I get home.

As for the gallery block - it only works if you are using Gallery, right? I don't use that in my photo area. I'm using My Image Gallery.

I tried the block earlier and realized this because of the php failure - the block tried calling the init.php file that doesn't exist in any "gallery" directory on my site. :/

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:57 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content