Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 09:45 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Install By FTP Only

OverSpeed

Anonymous
determined
My host (GoDaddy) offers GL as part of their free software, but does not allow access to their server by SSH. A friend told me to forget about using Telnet. So, I am looking at having to install GL by FTP client only. Can anyone shed light on this for me, or offer suggestions?

Thanks!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Geeklog can be installed just fine through ftp. It's actually explained in the installation instruction, although maybe not too detailed. Your ftp client should let you do the chmods through some menu option (or similar) and you'll have to edit files before you upload them, but other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

bye, Dirk

OverSpeed

Anonymous
confused
Thanks, Dirk. Can you or anyone help below?!?!?

I'm referencing the "How to Install Geeklog" doc at www.edplans.com, and it is somewhat confusing when I compare that process to the installation instructions under "Documentation" at the GL.net site. Are you referring to the install instructions at GL.net or documentation within the download?

1. I have the Coffee Cup FTP client, is there any reason to use another?
2. Are you familiar with the menu option in Coffee Cup used to do the chmods?
3. I understand I should decompress the GL download on my local machine with WinRAR rather than WinZip to avoid file corruption, correct?
4. When you write "edit files before uploading," are you referring to "changing permissions" as indicated in #6 of the "How to Install Geeklog" document?

Thanks again!!!

Robin

Forum User
Quote by OverSpeed: 1. I have the Coffee Cup FTP client, is there any reason to use another?

Not really. As good as any other client.
Quote by OverSpeed:
3. I understand I should decompress the GL download on my local machine with WinRAR rather than WinZip to avoid file corruption, correct?

Preferably.
Quote by OverSpeed:
4. When you write "edit files before uploading," are you referring to "changing permissions" as indicated in #6 of the "How to Install Geeklog" document?

Not really. Edit means entering paths etc to your config.php and lib-common.php.
Geeklog Polish Support Team

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:45 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content