Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 08:01 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

How to show whole story on front page

schorsch

Forum User
Hi!

How do I show an whole article on the front page like it can be seen on geeklog.net. Do you simply post the whole text into introduction or is there another "official" way?

Sorry if this might be a silly question, but I haven't found something about this. Nevertheless I'd like to know...

Greetings,
George

a

Anonymous
Quote by schorschBig Grino you simply post the whole text into introduction or is there another "official" way?

That's the way it is done.

schorsch

Forum User
Ok, thanks. Now this can be found in the forums too if someone needs it

jmeissen

Forum User
confused
I guess I deleted the Introduction.

There's got to be more to it than that. Other sites have different appearances. The policy has to be defined and implemented somewhere. Where is it implemented?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
confused
Quote by jmeissen: Where is it implemented?

Where is what implemented? What are/were you trying to do?

bye, Dirk

schorsch

Forum User
I don't know if I understand you correctly. If you wanted to state that you're not fully confident with this solution then I agree for at least one reason:
The view counter is not updated when there is no "body" text in a story. That's why I stopped writing stories only into the introduction.
Another unattractive thing connected to this is that the view counter starts counting even if the article is saved as a draft. Maybe this should be fixed because it falsifies the statistics - a small site like mine has not so many users that 4-5 views wouldn't count.
Perhaps I might have some time in the near future and could fix that. How could I contribute such code?

Regards
Jörg

jmeissen

Forum User
Quote by Dirk:
Quote by jmeissen: Where is it implemented?

Where is what implemented? What are/were you trying to do?

bye, Dirk

I want to adjust how much of a story submission gets displayed on the main page. Right now only the summary line is displayed, with a read more link. What I'd like is to specify how many lines are displayed before the reader is directed to another page, so that short submissions are completely displayed on the main page.

schorsch

Forum User
but why doesn't it work for you to put the lines which should be viewed directly into the introduction and the rest into body?

Jörg

jmeissen

Forum User
Never mind. I thought the reference to the introduction was the inital story article included in the geeklog install. What they were refering to was the "Intro Text" field of the story edit form.

So now I understand. And I see how to do it, at least for the simple case. I would still like to have adjustable mechanism, though, implemented using the actual story text instead of a kludge using the Intro Text field.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by schorsch: The view counter is not updated when there is no "body" text in a story.

Story views on the index page are not counted - that's correct. The overhead in SQL requests necessary to update 5-10 stories every time someone loads the front page makes this unattractive.

The story counter for such a story can still be increased, though, when someone views the story via article.php (e.g. after doing a search, getting the story link via email or the RSS feed, etc.).

Quote by schorsch: Another unattractive thing connected to this is that the view counter starts counting even if the article is saved as a draft. Maybe this should be fixed

Sounds sensible. Submit a feature request or a patch ...

Quote by schorsch: How could I contribute such code?

Our project site has everything you'll need.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:01 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content