Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 07:41 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

PHPBB Forum with GeekLog

kreative

Forum User
Chatty
Hello,
I have an important question: my Geeklog Site has a PHPBB forum (not integrated on it). My users have to make double registration (for the site and for the forum).

I have seen the PHPBBBridge, to integrate PHPBB Forum in geeklog.

My question is: CAN I install PHPBBBridge and MAINTAIN all old messages and registered users in the forum, or I have to setup a fresh installation of the PHPBB Forum? Is there a way to insert all old messages and old users?

Thanks a lot!

Turias

Forum User
Currently, there is no way to do that. It is not an easy problem. What if there are people in phpBB that do not exist in Geeklog? Do you delete them? Create the user over in the Geeklog database? What if a person made a slightly different login name for your phpBB site as they did for your Geeklog site? How is the script supposed to be able to match these up? Should it force admins to manually match up all accounts? That wouldn't be very easy for any admin with a large userbase to do.

These problems make what you want to do quite difficult. It may be something I try and tackle at a later time, but I probably won't attempt it until the phpBBBridge plugin is almost feature complete. There are still a lot of things I want to do to make it better.

Pat

Anonymous
Hi!
I'm a future phpBBbridge user, I hope!

Quote by Turias: Currently, there is no way to do that. It is not an easy problem. What if there are people in phpBB that do not exist in Geeklog? Do you delete them? Create the user over in the Geeklog database? What if a person made a slightly different login name for your phpBB site as they did for your Geeklog site? How is the script supposed to be able to match these up? Should it force admins to manually match up all accounts? That wouldn't be very easy for any admin with a large userbase to do.

These problems make what you want to do quite difficult. It may be something I try and tackle at a later time, but I probably won't attempt it until the phpBBBridge plugin is almost feature complete. There are still a lot of things I want to do to make it better.

I'm not sure it will be a great problem in reality most of the time. The common cases will most likelybe a Geeklog site adding phpBB, or a phpBB-site adding Geeklog, in which case the merge is a simple copy.

Otherwise, a merge would mean creating all users in both environments, deleting nothing. (Same physical user using diferent names will simply be treated as different users.)

Regards

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:41 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content