Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 04:44 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

sql statement causing real bad loop

machinari

Forum User
I know this isn't a mysql dev shed help forum or anything like that, but I didn't feel like registering for yet another forum and waiting for yet another password.... I have enuf.

let's start with the sql. here it is:
Text Formatted Code
SELECT q.Quotes, q.Quoted, q.Date, s.Name AS Contr, c.Name FROM gl_dailyquote_quotes q, gl_dailyquote_submitter s, gl_dailyquote_category c, gl_dailyquote_lookup l WHERE q.ID=l.QID AND s.UID=l.UID AND c.ID=l.CID AND q.Status='1' AND ((q.Quotes like '%term1%' OR q.Quotes like 'term1%' OR q.Quotes like '%term1') OR (q.Quoted like '%term1%' OR q.Quoted like 'term1%' OR q.Quoted like '%term1') OR (s.Name like '%term1%' OR s.Name like 'term1%' OR s.Name like '%term1')) OR ((q.Quotes like '%term2%' OR q.Quotes like 'term2%' OR q.Quotes like '%term2') OR (q.Quoted like '%term2%' OR q.Quoted like 'term2%' OR q.Quoted like '%term2') OR (s.Name like '%term2%' OR s.Name like 'term2%' OR s.Name like '%term2')) LIMIT 0, 1000

with that statement, i am searching all relevant fields checking for 'any' of the search terms.
if I only use one search term, no prob--i get a limited amount of results and they are correct. as soon as i add a 2nd term, i get the loop and it outputs the first result it finds over and over and over. i had to set a limit for debugging cuz my page wouldn't return.

tokyoahead

Anonymous
(q.Quotes like '%term1%' OR q.Quotes like 'term1%' OR q.Quotes like '%term1')

This seems unnecessary to me. AFAIK the first %term1% covers also the two other cases.

maybe its not a loop but just too long statement. for debigging, I would have it write intermediary results into a table and go step by step through it.

machinari

Forum User
Quote by tokyoahead: AFAIK the first %term1% covers also the two other cases.
You are correct AFAIK. I dunno what i was thinkin.

anyway, i fixed it. i was missing an outer parenthesis around one of the WHERE clauses.
nasty business this mysql. actually it's pretty easy once you get used to it. thanks dude.

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:44 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content