Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 09:59 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

General headter.thml logo problems

Zarr

Forum User
sad
Okay, here's the deal. I created a new logo for my site, which by default is using the XSilver theme. I uploaded my logo.gif into the images folder in the theme directory. Then I opened the header.thtml file in Notepad and edited the size of the logo so it wasn't getting all distorted. Thing is, the image is still using the constraints of the original header.thtml file - which is 183x70. No matter what I do, I cannot get my logo to go to the size I want. I even deleted the entire XSilver directory then re-uploaded it with the edited header.thtml file. No dice. Just as a little experiment I changed the path of the logo to a completely different image, but it's still pulling the logo.gif from the images folder in the XSilver directory. It's as if it's not even pulling info from the header.thtml file at all, but if that's the case I can't seem to figure out where it's pulling the info from.

Someone help me, this is driving me freaking insane.

machinari

Forum User
well, it works for me. but let's try just removing the width and height all together. let's see what happens with out any "constraints."
if you have deleted the old file and replaced it with the edited one, the only other option would be to refresh your page.
but i'm sure you've done that.

Zarr

Forum User
I've tried all of that and nothing seems to work at all. It's literally driving me insane. I even deleted the entire header.thtml file then refreshed the page and nothing happened.

I've had other Geeklog sites in the past and never had this problem, I can't seem to figure out what is going on for the life of me.

Zarr

Anonymous
It doesn't matter what layout I'm using, no matter what fields I edit nothing changes. I tried using the Classic theme, sized my logo to fit in their nicely, then opened up the Stylesheet to edit the rest of the properties, did all that, uploaded it, and the page still loads with the default settings. NOTHING changed.

I was thinking that possibly something got screwed up in my install, but it's pulling all the images from the right directories and all themes are working so I couldn't have any of the paths messed up. I have no idea what's going on here. My site is posessed.

machinari

Forum User
have you deleted your cache? or maybe there is a prob with the server cache but that hardly seems likely.
Do you at least get to see the new image on the page or does it still load the default logo?

Zarr

Anonymous
It's posting my logo, but that's it. None of the other settings are changing.

machinari

Forum User
well, if it seems to be loading the old page, then it probably is. that means that the old page must still exist on the server--somehow. try accessing your server files in a different fashion than you've been doing. instead of your ftp client for example, use a web admin, or telnet. who knows, you may find that the offending file was never deleted.
beyond that, and without seeing your header.thtml, i am at a loss.

Zarr

Anonymous
I know the .thtml file is loading onto my server because if I download it from there onto my local machine and open it up, all the changes are there. So it's there, but it's just not being used. If I view the source of the page I'm seeing the original text for the default .thtml file, not the one I edited and uploaded.

I'd really rather not wipe it clean and do yet another install, but at this point I don't really know what else I can try.

Robin

Forum User
Quote by machinari: have you deleted your cache?

Zarr
After reading the thread carefully I haven't seen the answer to the question above.
Have you emptied the temp and deleted all cookies from your browser?
One more thing, could you post the header.thtml code with the changes of yours.
Geeklog Polish Support Team

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Robin: could you post the header.thtml code with the changes of yours.

... or a URL.

There's nothing magic about all this, so you're either uploading things to the wrong directory or something is cached somewhere.

bye, Dirk

Zarr

Anonymous
Alright I semi-sorta figured it out this morning before I went to work. When I did the install I was having problems with the paths for the layouts for some reason. So if I remember correctly I copied all the directories for the layouts and put them into the htdocs (public_html) folder. So the path to the layouts is just /layout/XSilver/etc. I was editing the header file in that directory and it wasn't doing anything. For some reason this morning I decided to look into my Geeklog folder, which is in my root directory. I noticed that there is still a path to the layout folders so I opened up the header and edited it and now my logo works.

Only problem is, now I can't get any of the stylesheets to work properly.

Robin

Forum User
Quote by Zarr:now I can't get any of the stylesheets to work properly.

Just out of curiosity, how many stylesheets you are using?

Maybe it's the same source of the error - wrong location.
Geeklog Polish Support Team

Zarr

Anonymous
Basically I have 2 entirely separate "Layout" directories. One located inside my "htdocs" directory, and one inside of my "Geeklog/htdocs" directory located in the root of my server. What appears to be happening is that my geeklog is pulling info from the .thtml files in the Geeklog/htdocs directory in the root, but it's pulling the css file from the regular htdocs directory. At this point I'm assuming something got way messed up during my install and some paths are configured wrong. BUT, it's working and I got it looking the way I want it to, so it's good enough for me.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my Gallery to embed properly.

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:59 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content